worst weather I ever fished a tournament in

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Macaluso

Reaction score
I fished a club tournament this past weekend in the worst weather conditions I have ever fished for bass. My club had a two day tournament up on the Hudson river . For those of you not familiar with the Hudson River in New York ,October tends to be the best time to be up on the river as the as smallmouth begin to school and the largemouth start to concentrate in their wintering areas .

Knowing that most of the community holes would be crowded south of the ramp from were our club was launching I decided to run 12 miles north to a 20 acre cove that is know as a area were largemouth tend to winter over .We had a good day prefishing as we both caught a few nice bass and didn

sounds like it should have been cancelled in the first place

Tom,

I was wondering when you said that there was nothing you could do about the one guy still on the river because the T did not end yet? Don't you have a contingency in place that you as T director can stop the Tourney at any time, due to adverse conditions?

That's the que for one of the Champlain or great lakes guys to show up and say, "Those are everyday conditions..." :)

Tom, glad you are ok. Those situations are scary. I've been out on moderate sized lakes and rivers, usually fishing a cove, only to realize when I came out of the cove a couple of hours later to find the water conditions had gotten bad. Broken cables, battery trays, gear tossed everywhere. Not to mention soaking and cold. Make you wonder why you were out there in the first place, doesn't it?

That's the que for one of the Champlain or great lakes guys to show up and say, "Those are everyday conditions..."

Well....throw in a little ice and freezing rain and some 6 footer's and there you have it!!!

St. Clair fishing in the fall!!!

BTW,

Mac and I are going out Sunday....but no snow in the forecast.

I had a fish hedtz facemask in the back of the bat so I put that on and went about another 100 yards when I had to take it off since it had completely fogged up .

Have you told Fish Hedz this? They have new lenses that will NOT fog up.

BJ

Chris

There was no way I could reach him I tried his cell phone numrous times . I did cancell the second day of the tournament . Believe in or not there were guys who still wanted to fish the second day :wacko:As far as champlain being worse I don't know if it's due to the tide or the narrow area of the river but the Hudson is far worse than champlain :(THe waves on the lake are larger but on the Hudson they are somehow different ,it's hard to explain . Plus on the river you have to throw tugs,barges,freighters, sandbars,mut flats foating junk such trees and 55 galleon drums into the mix. On Champlain the only thing you have to worry about hititng is guys in rangers wearing pink panties fishing tires :lol::lol::p. Chris I'm planning to go back up sometime next week,want to go ?? . By the way Neeley ,kiss my senko :lol::lol:

Yes BJ I have spoken to Fish hedz this mask was a replacment for the first one. I know some guys swear by them . I just swear at them. :lol:. I'm getting a full helmet for next year

Tom,

I know what you're talking about.

Detroit River, St. Clair river...etc. It get's dangerous on that type of water, even on nice days.

We had Tox and Carlos up the St. Clair river on a nice day.....I'll let them chime in and tell ya about it!!!

Tom did you guys launch out of Catskill? I seem to find all the nice water, Erie and Hudson last year, Erie, Champlain and Onidea this year and I spent a year one week on St Clair 4 years ago I guess. Just be glad you have a 20ft boat, my poor little 18footer don't like it much. Heck I forgot how good my boat rode until I got back on the Chesapeake 2 weeks ago.

BF

Ken

I would imagine any river in which you have heavy commercial shipping whether it be the Hudson or the Detroit river can be very dangerous . I

Especially when that "wall of steel" has rivets the size of coffee cups!! :blink::eek:

Tom, when I fished the open there last year I rode with a guy who ran wot for 40 miles in a rain so hard all I could do was hang on and keep my head down (and pray) the weather was better on the ride back but this fruit loop fails to see a barge he passed and a big pleasure craft that crossed in front of us. Thank goodness Triton puts two hand holds in for the passanger. I don't know how far we flew or how we landed upright, but all he had to say was I did not see that comeing? IT WAS A BARGE dumb*** what did you think would follow it ..

Other than that the place is very pretty, I would love to see it with nice weather and no TX.

BF

That's what I'm saying, Tom.....it takes nerves of steel to fish a system like that...and I applaud your concern for the safety of your anglers.

Ken,

Was true on the WX in the St Claire River. Was a good set of 4 footers on average I think. It was a good lesson in rough water baot drivign for me, that is for dang sure! (calm day my arse Neeley/Mac/Mini, I know you did that run on purpose to see how bad we got pounded on the run up to Huron HAHAHAHAHAHAH

I have been caught on teh Potomac when it was dicey, once with Tox took 45 minutes to make it 4 miles or so, and once this past spring with many big waves breaking at the consoles on the baot. thank goodness for bilge pumps!

My small sample of the water up North is that is can get big FAST, jsut as fast as it can get clam too. Winds up there play a BIG part of your water conditions, especially with that much open water.

Have not been a TX yet that was canx'd due to WX. I am a newbie int eh TX business. But, I pretty sure our director would err on teh side of caution and canx it if the WX is too bad

Carlos

Latest posts

Back