won't turn over

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Mullin

Reaction score
I just tried to start my boat after winter storage. It will not turn over, all I get is a whirring noise from the starter. Another odd thing is that my trim switch is backwards now, from all 3 trim positions, the up button moves it down and the down button moves it up, also noticed that when I turn on the master power, the fuel gauge drops below the "E". When I winterized it, I marked all the wires, then removed all 3 batteries. Put the batteries in the other day, charged them all over the last couple of days, got green lights on the 3 bank charger, tried turning over today, nothing. Any ideas, hopefully something simple!!

Everything might be related, but sometimes the starter pinion will get dirty or worn and will not spin up into the flywheel. Is the starter spinning but not engaging? When mine did that I was able to use a screwdriver to LIGHTLY pry up and turn the pinion by hand until it broke loose, then I soaked it in WD-40 and worked it up and down until it moved freely. I then wiped everything down so the oil wouldn't attract more dirt. If that doesn't work, or the problem comes back soon, you probably need a new starter.

Not sure how to fix the wiring problem, someone smarter than me will pop in soon I'm sure.

I would double check the connections to the cranking battery. Does the trolling motor work correctly?

Yes, the trolling motor is working, with out it in the water, I can't tell if it is turning the correct way. If the wires are screwed up, will it turn in reverse? If the motor is facing forward, what way should the prop be turning, clockwise or counterclockwise? As far as the motor getting dirty over the winter, the boat motor was covered with a custom made cover. I checked the motor, it looks brand new just like I put it away. Still hoping, something simple!!!

The trolling motor will run backwards if the connections are reversed. I'm not sure about CW or CCW, I usually look at the blades and can tell which way they should turn.

The fuel gage pegging on 'E' may indicate battery is hooked up backwards. Check your battery connections as Bob G. suggested above. The starter motor would run backwards also, but would not engage the flywheel.

Good luck.

If it is a foot controled trolling motor it should turn clockwise if you are looking at it as you stand on the boat deck with it turned like you are trolling forward.

Latest posts

Back