won't accelerate

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug bailey2

Reaction score
90 HP tracker motor , auto oil and gas mix.

Engine fires up when I give it some extra throttle in neutral. Once started as I apply more throttle it won't throttle up. Anybody have this same issue or any ideas what might be going on?

Seems like might not be getting enough fuel or the mixture is wrong, just don't know.

Kind of new boat owner who needs help!

Thanks.

Also there is a black switch mounted flush under the drivers side cockpit that seems to have three positions, left, middle and right. Any idea what this is?

Finally does anyone have a manual or a download link for a Nitro 2001 sport 175 fish and ski?

txboater - is the boat used? How long was it sitting with old gas in it? Sounds like the carbs might be clogged if you need to provide extra throttle while in neutral. Might be worth trying to remove all the old gas and clean the carbs.

On the black switch, sounds like the rocker for the livewell with recirc/empty/auto modes. The recirc allows the livewell pump to circulate water that's already in the livewell without adding outside water. The auto pulls in outside water to add to the livewell. The empty is self-explanatory! Check the link below.
http://www.flow-rite.com/marine/product-info/valves

thanks for the reply. yes it is a used boat, has been sitting for a while, seller said had it running to get ready for sale. i added fresh gas to what was in the tank, put it in the water, it ran fine, throttled up fine. next day wouldn't throttle up. will go in to gear, but only at idle rpm and won't go up. thanks for the help, always some issues with used boats, engine is clean as a whistle under the cowling.

Do you hear any chirping sounds. Mine was doing that and I thought I had plenty of oil in the oil tank. However on the hole shot it would all run to one side and the probe would come uncovered and cause the engine to go back into idle mode to protect it. My son heard the chirping sound( my hearing isn't so well on the high pitched sounds anymore). I keep the oil tank almost full now and have no problems at all. I hope yours is as minor of an issue as mine was.

txboater - Try what Ed suggests (easy fixes are always the first to try!). Have you cleaned the fuel filters? Might be worth trying that as well.

No chirping sounds Ed. What kind of oil should i add. It is a 2002 model 90 hp mercury/tracker. The oil in the boat looks blue/green, is that a special boat motor oil?

Tested motor with ears at idle, sometimes the engine dies. Runs kind of rough.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy/download a good complete repair manual, as a novice I need to get one quickly!

Latest posts

Back