With a full tank or with an empty tank?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
All, (especially those who towed to the rally)

Very soon, I will be towing my boat across the Canadian border. Is it better to tow with a full tank (12 gal) or an empty tank? Total road time is about 10-12 hrs.

Rich D

No difference, other than if it's TOO full, it might slosh out the vent port in curves or hard brakeing situations. But if you're fishing in Canada.....gas up HERE! LOL

12Gals isn't much weight,....maybe 100lbs if that. I prefer to pull my boat (a 901 with a 53gal tank)

with as little gas as possible in it, just because of the extra weight,...i fill it when i get to my destination. 12 Gal won't make a difference though.....might as well fill it wherever the gas is the cheapest! LOL

Mac

BTW, I pulled mine home from NY and it was almost empty,...I might have 10gals in there......and it didn't make any difference in my truck's mileage,.....i had to stop just as often both ways....

I towed empty for 2 reasons. My tank holds 41 gallons. That's about 328 lbs to your 96lbs. Another factor is cost of gas were you are going vs. were you live. Gas in Plattsburgh was cheaper than gas in Nashua.

Marke

Gee, that's a first! It's usually higher here than the rest of the state, and NY higher than most other states other than CA! Glad to hear I'm not the only one getting hosed! LOL

Thanks!

Weight wasn't much of a concern for me. I was concerned more about safety and splashing through the vents. I also wasn't sure if there were any Canadian regulations regarding the subject. Last time I went, I towed empty, but with the difference in gas, I want to fill up here!

Rich D

Naw,...those wiley Canadian's are more concerned with how much beer you're taking OUT of their country, than how much gas you're bringing IN!!,....LOL

Another factor to consider is the quality of gas you will be buying where you are going. I used to tow empty to NY till I started having trouble with the gas I was buying in NY. Now at least the first tank will run good.

Latest posts

Back