Why is my warning buzzer going off?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John DeGeorge

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Johnson/Nitro 150, on a 180TF. Last night, my warning buzzer started going off after starting the motor. I had just filled the oil tank full, fuel tank was also full. The motor was shooting water out, so it look like the water intakes aren't plugged. The motor runs fine without the buzzer going off from idle to 2000 RPM's, but above that, the buzzer goes non-stop, and the motor bogges down as if it weren't getting fuel. I took the cowling off, and it isn't leaking oil anywhere, so I don't have any idea. Maybe overheating?

check to see if it is getting oil.im not sure but there is a no oil alarm,fuel vacuum,and a low oil alarm,if that has the s.l.o.w. system,

if it is overheating,it will limit the rpm to 2500,no oil will sound the alarm,and limit rpm also,fuel restriction will let it rev to almost full rpm,if im not mistaken.there should have been a decal stating what the alarms mean somewhere on the boat.

I had the same problem with a mercury 115 hp. The alarm goes off if there'a an overheating problem or low oil in the tank. I had just started it so it couldn't be hot and there's plenty of oil in the tank. Unplugging the oil tank switch and shorting it had no change. I assumed that the warning assimilator may have fried.

The dealer said they do go bad occasionaly and they would be glad to sell me a new one for $275.

I thought it was a BIT expensive so I un plugged it.

The dealer said that most guys do just that.

You just have to be viligant anout oil level and checking the water temperature of the outlet.

Some day I'll replace it, but not now.

Most likely your VRO. Get it looked at pronto. Mine went and it cost me $3400! The pump is only $200. Good luck.

Had the same problem on my johnson 115. Bought the maintance book for the motor and tracked this down. At the end of your oil line going into the motor is a oil limiter plug, lets oil in and nothing out. Pulled it out and replaced it for 18 dollars and that was 4 years ago and no problems since..jack

and if you cant get it looked at soon,and you want to use the boat add 1 qt of oil for 13 gallons of gas!!thats roughly 2.5oz oil for 1 gallon of gas,this way you know it is getting oil!!

other thing to do is to disconnect the vro,do away with the oil tank,and mix.i have been for 3 yrs,i wont go back.besides that,my kicker dont like straight gas!!!

I had the same thing happenning after I put oil into my reservoir. Ended up that I forgot to put the lid back on the oil tank!! It is worth a look before you take it and let someone look at it!

Tim

Back