Why are Allison boats so fast ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
I'm looking at some Allison boats on the net and top speeds are all around 85-95 mph ! Thats with motors 225-250.The hulls don't appear to be so radically different for others?Are they lighter than others.I don't want to buy one. I just want to know how or why they can move that fast on water.

They are very light. Something in the range of 900# for a 20 footer. To put it in perspecive my 882 hull weighs 1480# according to Nitro. Im sure the power/weight ratio of the allison accounts for a bunch of speed. i have seen one up close and underneath on the pad area the alison is nothing like a normal bass boat. the chines in the back have all kinds of crazy bends and turns in them. I dont know if that has anything to do with speed but it sure is different. From what i have read they are also very efficent, a 150 can power one into the 70's and do better on gas them most bassboats will. Maybe Bob B or Pat Goff can chime in and offer some first hand insight on these boats, I have no personal experience other then seeing one at the ramp on a trailer and talking to the owner.

I believe they also use some kinda'lift or stepped hull like Express...

LOL! Ya gotta love that Pat Goff attitude!

Pat -

When you say "feel every chine break loose" do you mean that there ius a noticable lifting of the hull as each set of chines breaks loose from the water surface?

I seen one at Dale last year that had to be runnin' at least 90...By the time I turned my head when I heard it..IT WAS GONE!:)

Me... I'm not Pat but I believe I can answer... Yes you will "feel" it.... I can on my TR-21 when it breaks and gets up on pad....It is a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants feeling....lol...Now I'm not saying that I can even begin to keep up with an Allison but my Tr-21 is setup and will haul the basses faster than all of the other Tr-21's around my area, only because I've taken the time to research and set the boat up along with having the prop "worked"... But as has been said on many boards... "Who catches fish @ 75mph"?? ;-)

I wanna drive one! :) <~~~BIG, toothy grin!!

Remembering that I come from a sports car background.....

How are the Allison's in the turns?

Where I fish many times speed is limited by rough water conditions as much as potential boat speed. Just curious if anyone knows if the really light weight hull gives you a really bumpy ride as well?

Pat, I believe Allison does use Kevlar in their layup, but it's not the primary material. It's reinforcement for some high stress areas because the laminate is thinner than most traditional hulls.

OK Pat - I'll lend you one of the bays at the Trepper garage and you can come on over to Atlanta and show Rich and I how the Ally runs!!!

I would love to drive one. I have never been over 100 in a boat less that 30 feet let alone a bass boat.

But where I live, it would come back in a bag (if the pieces float).....

Mini

Back