Who else reloads

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
I know that Fatrap and TritonGlen are reloaders, as am I, who else here is into rolling their own ammo?

I thought about it, but knowing my luck, homeland security will just come take it since I'm already on their holly crap list LOL. I'm liable to blow something up :mad::p:rolleyes:

I have a friend that loves to reload and make big bangs, when I go to his house I carry ear insert plugs and Mickey Mouse (over the ears) hearing protection. He has a 25, 50, 100, 200, and 400 yard target range. I do good to see 50 yards, LOL. It is fun to watch beaver dams go up one day and be rebuilt the next, so always big booms.

cq

I have for many, many years. Unless it is 9mm or 22LR, I make all the ammo I shoot.

RH

Big time. Cast bullets, too. I like loading the stuff almost as much as I like shooting it.

I currently load 38spl, 357, 9mm, 223, 30-30, 7.5x55, 308 Win. And that's my "skinnied down" list of catridges. I used to load a half dozen others.

I limit my bullet casting activities to .358 cal (for all of the pistol calibers above), and .30 cal (for the three .30 cal rifles above). I also cast buckshot and slugs for 12ga and .45 connicals for my muzzleloader.

My most recent efforts have been working up a .223 deer hunting round, and experimenting with paper patching for the .45 cal muzzleloader. I think I've finally got a winner on the muzzleloader bullet. I'm using cigarette paper, wrapped twice around a .450 200 grain Lee conical bullet. It gives a decently tight fit in the bore of my CVA Optima Elite .45, but still stuffs down the barrel readily. Shot some really tight groups at 50 yards last weekend with Blackhorn 209 powder (LOVE that stuff).

Figuring that kind of thing out is what makes it so fun. Lots of variables to tinker with.

They are wav files, download to a music file and play from there. My wife uses iTunes and it is the default source. So far my virus scan has shown all the files (the ones that I have downloaded) are clean before starting to download.

cq

Last edited:
got a link to the download CQ? They wouldn't play on my smartphone and I haven't tried it on my Galaxy tablet.
fatrap

I just tried my razr and it downloaded and played without any problems. Maybe someone else can give you pointers, I am at a loss.

cq

Try a 50gr Barnes TTSX with IMR4895.

RH

Thanks, Ron. I've heard a lot of positives about the Barnes. My first batch is Win Power Point 64 grains (lots of positives read about that bullet, too). IMR 4895 is my rifle powder of choice for 223 and 30 cal. The Power Points shoot nicely. We'll have to see what happens when they encounter the flank of a deer. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

Coming soon.....300 win mag loads. Got the dies, got the powder, primers cases, just need some 190 BTHP match bullets.
fatrap

225 Win, 22-250 7MMWM 7-30 Waters .30-30 Win .308 Win 30-06 300 Win Mag 357 mag 44 mag

Try a 50gr Barnes TTSX with IMR4895.

RH

Have to agree with the Barnes for .223 for deer. I might look into Varget but my .223 Savage/Stevens 200 is not real particular on powders... So, H or IMR 4895 would also work.

I will be Goggling some more of these letters and numbers tonight, like I stated before this is a learning class for me.
I am learning even at OLD FART AGE.

cq

well I would consider it, but the govt is threatening to cut off my VA disability and SS pay - that'll quickly ruin me. Guess I didn't plan for that, like they haven't planned for years. I can't print money fraudulently like they can. :mad:

Don't forget - the two 4895s are NOT the same. Make sure you use the proper loads. Happy shooting!!
Keep 'em in the 10 ring.

Don't forget - the two 4895s are NOT the same. Make sure you use the proper loads. Happy shooting!!
Keep 'em in the 10 ring.

Hogdon's website has extensive load data available for free!!! Look around as so do bukllet manufacturers. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back