When Is Close, Close Enough

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ratko

Reaction score
In our province/state, front license plates are mandatory. I don't know how many of you have license plates or bumpers that have more dents than a demolition derby. My wife usually parks in front of the boat and if she is not right up against it, she is hanging over the road. Neither is a good situation.

I have come up with a very simple apparatus that I install after I swing the hitch away. It utilizes a 3" 45 degree schedule 40 elbow, a 24"-26" piece of 1 x 3, and two woods screws.

The photo should be self explanatory. (There are more in my Library.) When you approach the boat, the wood acts like a flag. If the "flag" stands straight up, you are touching the boat.

Mike

Forward%20Indicator%20-%20Ass'y%20without%20bumper.JPG

Hey,

Aren't you worried about the board scratching the grill or he paint? Maybe if the board was covered with a soft cloth or carpet. Just a thought.

jdj

I am and in my library you will find a picture of the complete assembly. I posted this pic so you can see the detail.

What you can't see and I realize it now, is that the screws are inserted from the board side and bite into the plastic. I used #8 wood screws.

Mike

I have to park the same way. We don't have front license plates in Oklahoma so the front bumper on my Jeep is poc marked from getting too close. I guess I'm going to have to steal that idea too. I'm thinking either a 1/2" dowel or PVC pipe with pipe foam attached to the elbow.

Thanks Mike.:D

Harpo

The lighter the material used for the "flag" the easier it will be on the vehicle. I am looking for alternate materials now that I have it made. You can use u-bolts to fasten round stock to the elbow.

Mike

You may want to consider something using one of those inexpensive blaze orange bicycle flags.

Latest posts

Back