Wheel Bearings

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey Carrico

Reaction score
I have been doing spring boat maintenance the last couple weekends and am curious if you guys proactively replace the trailer wheel bearings and if so how often or how many miles do you consider the appropriate time to replace?

I always keep the wheel bearings packed with fresh marine lube, boat is garaged and I have no reason to believe they are bad.

Thanks

Corey

If they are not pitted or burned, and the races (what the bearing runs on) are good too, there is no need to ever change the bearings or races. If there is damage both the races and bearings need changing, and is good to do in sets. I live close to the lake so I re-pack (new grease) mine ever 3-4 yrs.

In the fall I spend $100 and my buddies in the Marine Service Dept. Go over my rig fore and aft including the trailer. Worth every penny. I've watched them they're good.

Fatrap

Dumb question I know, but to clarify ... Why would you have to repack the bearings if you have buddies on them? I give mine a shot every month and I have never had a problem. Maybe I am lucky but it was suggested tome years ago by an old marine mechanic and like I said never had a problem. Only thing I can gather is by packing (or repacking) the bearings you make sure at least once a year the grease is deep in the bearings.

Thanks for the understanding and kindness with you answers!

Fatrap I also let my mechaninc "service" the bearing annually. Heck, they may be packing them then and I just don't know it!

Randy!

$hit happens. bearings/races/seals go bad even if you grease them. They are a "wear and tear" item on a trailer and if they go you won't!!:lol: It's cheap insurance to check them rather than getting marooned on the highway somewhere and you'll find that most carry an entire spare hub assembly (including bearings) in their truck. Personally I don't.

TOXIC

I'm with Toxic on this, just squirting grease in, or even with the newer flow thru type, completely PUSHING all the old grease out until all new comes in, AND making sure after every trip that the rear seals are good (if you ever get any grease on the backside of the wheel/rim, you have a bad seal) is not good enough. Ideally you should pull your bearings/races every year to check them, look for wear/tear...

When I got back from China, I had my marine mechanic go ahead and full replace both of mine, figured it was worth a few hundred $$ now to make sure i'm good for the future. I know a lot of guys do it themselves (Dan N did his after one blew), but most of you know I am NOT mechanically inclided!!!

I do this myself. If you have a decent jack it is at the most an hour and a half to two hour job, and that is because I don't have air tools. It is about a 2 of 10 on the mechanical scale, you just need to work the new grease into the bearings, get the seals in straight and don't over or under tighten the axle nut. If I travelled a long way, I'd do it annually too. It is also a good idea to occasionally check to make sure your seals are good. I really like seeing that my bearings and races are smoooth. You can get replacement parts from Champion in LA. whenever I go over an hour away I will carry an extra set of bearings, tools, and a spare tire.

I dont take mine apart every year. I dont see the need. I do grease them monthly and i have the flow thru type system like Trep mentioned. As a part of my monthly maint i also jack up, check for end play and make sure nothing feels rough. I dont take them apart unless im slinging grease or water is getting in. Over the years ive traveled many thousands of miles on my trailer ( my 882 trailer had over 100k on it) and i have never had to replace a bearing.

Like Tox i dont carry a hub either. With disk brakes its not really feasable unless you want to buy an entire rotor assembly. I do carry a set of bearings, races and the tools to change them just in case.

Bearing buddies help but I found out a long long time ago you still need to pack them. I had the grease flow through type on the Nitro and never had to replace anything but still had them checked.

fatrap

Very helpful thank you. I am less concerned now hearing how long they have lasted some of you...100K miles Jim, wow. I will check the seals and for play and continue maintaining the regular greasing.

you didnt indicate what your rig is, brakes, etc, but checking and even all the way to repacking a bearing especially on a "brakeless" trailer is so unbelievable easy there's no reason not to take the steps while you're waiting for the weather to come around.. I typically need more time to clean up than the actual task (but then, I;m a pig pen). do it. there's no downside

Corey, i do tow a lot. Most of my fishing is far away trips and i used to average 12-15k a year towing so it adds up fast. I dont to as much now. What i have done has worked for me for a long time. The way i see it the bearings are the exact same thing that was used on the front of a passenger car for many years. Just like in a car they last a long time if you take care of them.

Bearing buddies are not an alternative to repacking bearings. With the amount of water these get exposed to it is good to repack about every year. As stated before, seals go bad, races and bearings wear. If you are just shooting grease and not checking you will be calling a flatbed to come get you becuase no place is open or available on Sundays. :( When your shop "services" them, they are checking and repacking. ;)

Derek Chance

BTS/KVD Line & Lure

Stahlman Powersports

Hi-Tech Collision

Cory

I also carry extra bearings and races. Large hammer and a piece of round stock(steel) big enough to tap out and reseat races.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back