Wheel Bearings

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Butler

Reaction score
How often should you repack wheel bearings, planning on taking a long trip trailer is ony 1 year old and only been in water about 25 times

It's a good habit to give them a shot of new grease(not full)every long trip that you make:) I re-pack about two to three times a year but, I do a lot of travelin' to different states.

Tee, is the repacking done for miles or how many times it's been in the water. My trailer which is new this year, has been duncked at least 35 times and about 500 miles on it. Should I be doing this now?

"Wilson"

Just pull the caps and look at the grease to see what kind of shape it's in(thin or runny vs. thick) and give it a couple good pumps and you'll see the old grease start coming out. Pump it until you start to see new grease appearing....that should be good for now. Always check seals to make sure there is no grease escaping out the back...that will let water in and grease out. Keep a few spare hub covers(caps) that you can get at just about any marina. If you loose one you won't have grease all over everything and always keep a spare set of bearings,grease and cotter pins just in case. You should be good for another season or two...preventitive maintenence is your best friend when it comes to bearings:)

Tee is right but be very careful about over greasing or putting too much pressure in pushing out the old grease.

TOXIC

How can you over-grease Tox?(at least on the EZ lube system) You just use your finger and remove the excess...as far as pressure, there shouldn't be that much resistance when you pump it up. If you do...something is obstructing the flow and need to remove the whole assembly.

I've been told time and time again that if you put grease in till it comes out, you have overfilled. Even if you put it in till it comes out the little holes in the BBuddy system. I always give mine enough to move the spring plate. I've been told, if you want the old out, take them off and repack them. Oh yeah, mine are 4 years old (probably have 30,000 miles on them) and never been repacked, just relubed. I do re lube them a lot though.

TOXIC

Hers a good article on the type of hubs Tracker usesat At least they did use this type back in 2000.
http://www.ufpnet.com/products/axle/bl_axle_txt.htm
bl_axle_2.gif

There ya go Tox.....We're talkin' apples and yer talkin' ornges:) Seriously though...I don't like the BB systems for that very reason. Just two cent:)This picture is the EZ lube System;

It doesn't show the flow in the picture but, it goes in then comes back out so you have fresh grease on the bearings:) just like dat..

I have both....BB's on my little trailer and the EZ's on the big boat. I still don't use the pressure from the grease gun to blow out my lube.

TOXIC

I re-pack mine every winter when I put it away.

That way if there is any water in the hubs (there always is) it will not put rust pits on your bearings as it sits all winter.

Steve

I thought I read on this site or maybe in my manual that the EZlube system if kept properly lubed is good to 100K miles,and that is assuming no water gets in.Also wouldn't you gets some wheel play if you jack up the trailer and wiggle the wheels if the bearings are going bad?

Al, I dont know if the EZ lube hubs can truly go 100k but i do know they can go a good long way as long as ythe seals are in good condition. My last trailer had over 75k on it and i never once had them apart for any reason. i never had to adjust the play, or replace the seals or anything. I greased them every few weeks as TEE described and they just worked. I have the same type of hubs on my 882 trailer as well but with brakes and in the 3 years ive had it ive had them apart once because i had a bad seal. I have put over 50k on this trailer and i have no idea how many miles the prior owner did. Those UFP ez lube hubs are good stuff if maintined properly.

BTW if the wheel wiggles it dosent always mean the bearing is failing, as the bearings wear and the cups wear you may get a little play that can be adjusted out. It can also be causes by someone not setting the "end play" properly when they assembled the hub. If the play is severe then there could be a problem and a take apart and inspection is the only way to determine what the problem is.

Latest posts

Back