What's the average cost of a tourney?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I know what it will cost me (on average) to participate in a local or Federation tourney, but I really don't have any type of handle on what it may cost to fish in a higher level tourney.

Situation:

You are going to fish in an Everstart or FLW tourney that you will need to travel to. What do you believe is your 'cost' to fish in one? Needs to include entry, lodging, expenses and of course meals/food. Should not include cost of equipment/insurance/tow vehicle (other than gas).

Just curious.

Tex

I have had friends fish the Everstarts and one of them kept track of his expenses. His total for the four tournaments was a little over $6,000 for the 2002 season. That included entry, gas, lodging, and meals. He said the individual tournaments varied depending on location, and I beleive he was rooming by himself. Higher gas costs and entry fees now could be canceled out with a roommate, so I would think it would be about the same.

Would love to hear from Gutz on his costs for the Tour.

Here is how I have broken mine down in the past. And this is for a tourney with some travel involved. It will be much cheaper for local tourneys or places where you have friends that you can stay at their place.

$35 - Non resident license (Assuming only 1 is needed. Many waters may require 2 non resident licenses)

Hotel/Motel - $55 per night (for a cheap one) x 5 nights (more if you have to go prefish) = $275

Gas and oil for boat - $100 a day (doing a LOT of cruising looking at new water and long runs in tourney) x 5 days = $500

Food for the week = $125 if you eat cheap and bring some food with you.

Gas for truck there and back = $250 (will vary depending on location of tourney)

Entry fee - $750 (use Everstart as an example)

Misc (maps, broken gear, tackle, etc) = $100

So to fish an Everstart out of state, my total comes up to $2,035 per tourney. And it can go up or down depending on the hotel cost, amount of gas needed, those pesky little repairs can often be MORE than $100.

But you also offset it by getting a non boater travel partner that will help with gas in the truck and a little in the boat and split the cost of the room with.

DOUBLE IT!!!,...Been there,....did it,...it never goes like you want it to!!!

On average i can get by on $100 day excluding tournament fees, if i have a room mate and depending on the length of travel to the lake.

Daily expenses

$25-$35 a night (with roomate)

$20-$50 boat and truck gas a day

$10-20 food

Towing

$50 and up for tow there and back

$105 - $155+

$20 to $50 for gas in the boat? You including oil? And $50, at $2.50 a gallon that's only 20 gallons of gas a day. That ain't much my friend if you're REALLY scouting some water, or making runs on any of the great lakes for fish.

Now granted, on home water, it's a fraction of what I listed.

Mac, I know, I was trying to give the best case scenario.

Its good to own an optimax huh Rob?

Heck it was an estimate. Pretty good estimate for most of my tournament fishing... I guess just different styles of fishing. I don't fish the great lakes, but Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn and Livingston are not small lakes.

Man, I would LOVE to be able to only spend $20 to $50 a day on the water.

Alot more than a trip to the grocery to buy the fish,,,,:D:D:D:D

Back