what would you do?????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Duncan

Reaction score
I was fishing my regional TBF in North Carolina this past weekend when I had this happen to me.

My partner was a great guy on Friday (he had his limit by 8:30) and gladly passed the front of the boat to me at 10:30 and said go where you want, etc. I got my limit about 2 hours after him and ended with a little over 8 pounds. He was a few ounces short of me.

Then on Saturday, he's not catching fish and becomes incredibly frustrated and starts back boating me, etc. I just leave things as they are and not start to wine and complain. I decide to start to throw a Jig because this guy is trying to find bedding fish on the second day of a 150 boat tourney. Too long to get into.......but here's the quick vervison.

He's see's a small fish on the bank and decides to blow by it, but he doesn't see the 6 pounder 4 feet to the left of it staring at the bank. I make a quick pitch on the bank and move the jig 6 inches, and Bang, here we go.

The fish jumps twice, stays on, jumps three times at the boat, stays on, and my partner still doesn't have the net. He finally gets the net out of his rod locker, after a few choice words from me, and slams the net into the fishes mouth while it's laying on it's side in the water. The jig comes out of the fishes mouth and I dive in the water after the fish and, of course, can't get hold of it. After this, my partner says, "That WAS a nice fish," and puts the net down and starts fishing again.

Now my question to you is.......What would you have done???????

We all know what we would like to have done, but that's not going to do anything but get you in trouble. Sounds like a trip to the officials when you hit the bank.

You could complain to the officials, but without proof that he purpously did something to cost you a nice fish, I doubt if it would go very far. But there may be other complaints against this guy, and it shows a pattern of unsportsmanlike conduct. He may be told to shape up or ship out.

I probably would have just accidently stepped on one of his rods while helping him land his next fish.;)

I had a guy like that back when it was called everstart... i made a small prayer for karma after being backed out of a spot. 30 minutes later we're on a long run through lake pepin and... his motor overheats. I sat there for 20 minutes. He was pi*****. About to throw rods over the side. I smile. He doesn't. I smile again. "You gonna fish like we're a team?" I ask, cuz if you are I'll fix your motor." A glimmer of hope in his eye. I think he's desperate. I tell him to lean over and get the back strap on the cowling. He reaches down.... way down..... and I KICK... He's in the water. I put the kill switch back in... drive away......... okay back up. sounds great doesn't it? Actually, I fixed his motor after a sincere apology. Pulled the cowling off and she was ready to roll....

When you get one of those guys, stick it to em. Don't count on them for the net. Lip your fish. Don't count on them for boat control. Cast over their shoulder. I carry ONE muskie bait with me for tournaments. Its a DARN BIG top water. If it doesn't scare his fish away nothing will. Its louder than a 200 EFI. I make sure he knows it. Then I smille, and ask if he's gonna be a team player.

So far.... they all end up team players. Rule #1 of the game (any game): Make the rules. Don't be a victim. A--holes happen. But theres nothing wrong with it if they aren't in control.

David

What is a regional TBF? I'm a bit confused on the Friday thing, as I haven't seen any organized smaller TBF or BASS tournaments going on during the week. Was this a North Carolina TBF "Region" tournament - i.e. - a "team tournament", that you practiced with him on Friday, and then fished on Saturday??? If so, I would have kicked the ever living daylights out of my "partner". I'm not sure if they run things the same as they do in Virginia, but our Region tournaments are team tournaments - the "teams" weight counts, not individuals. What tournament was this? I'd really like to know the jerks name, just in case I fish there and get paired with him one day. I probably would have spoke to him about what he was doing / what he had done, and if he didn't straighten up, I'd protest when we returned. Disposable cameras have a great use in this situation. Take a picture of the boats front end relative position to the bank (when he is front ending you) a few times for "proof", and more than likely, he would have straightened that out real quickly.

David's musky bait trick is a hoot! I gotta go get me one of those! :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

In a draw tournament dont sign his weigh slip (make him sign first).

Glenn, it's The Bass Federation.....when everyone in the BASS Federations left BASS and moved to FLW, it became TBF. For some reason in NC, they fish the regionals on Friday and Saturday so everyone can make it to church on Sunday. Gotta love the bible belt. Not really knocking it, just makes no sense to me. Anyway, a trip to the officials was made, but of course nothing was done. I did not sign his slip until the director knew about everything. The guy got both ears full of some not so nice language, no money for gas, and a whole lot less respect from other anglers. That is what I believe is the kicker. The guy acted like he didn't even care that other anglers were going to string his hind end up. Anyway, I'll know from now on what to bring. And I used to live in Ohio, so I have some Muskie plugs!!!!

Jim,

I knew what TBF is (all too well - been through the whole "split" thing here too), but still am a bit confused on the tournament. Anyway, doesn't matter. Sorry the guy was a jerk, and hopefully, all his future partners will be Muskie fishermen. Ha!

All the best,

Glenn

Contact National and let them know that "nothing" was done. They need to know about this and may help in the future if the official's are accused again of doing nothing.

Mini

It is ridiculous that someone would stoop so low to do something such as that. I couldn't imagine doing that in a tournament situation or even fun fishing.

I would do as Mini suggests and let everyone at every level know of the situation. If that guy did it to you, he will probably do it again. You can't prove it happened the way you say, but two or three complaints about the same guy and a 'point of view' turns into a problem individual and someone will (hopefully) have to act.

Refer to Bama Steve's suggestion on how to keep the neighbors dog out of the flowerbed in Bubby54's thread. :lol::lol:

Harpo

Back