What To Do?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
As everybody should know, my rig has been as dependable as they come and has a lot of hours on her. I am at a turning point right now. My boat is in need of some upgrades and I am faced with making a decision. Do I sell her off and go shopping for a boat deal or put some $$ in her and keep her on the water? I need new seats and a good wet sanding as well as new electronics and carpet. Icould probably swing a pretty sweet deal through some of my sponsorships but any deal is going to require some $$ and then I run the risk of getting a rig that is not as dependable as the one I have not to mention clients tear up a boat pretty fast. My trailer is solid as well as the boat structurally. My original plan was to keep her a couple more years then go shopping but there are some real deals popping up now. I could go either way, my boat has been as solid as a rock and I know that can be a rare thing.

TOXIC

If it floats, runs, and trailers well, the rest is semantics. Great boat deals are always available, this immediate economy or not withstanding. I tell friends to use "The List of 10" when on the fence to buy a boat. If you are pleased with your boat and have 10 items or less to make it back to your liking, weigh that against a new boat with a hefty price tag and most likely about 10 items on it that will need fixed/upgraded to suit your comfort as a new boat owner. If any of your item lists contain hull work, engine rebuild, or axle(s) replacement, look for a new ride, if possible. Hope it helps.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Go with the new rig. I think you will wind up putting too much money into getting the existing 929 fixed up. Given the HARD use you are bound to begin have additional and probably costly problems. Just my $0.02 worth!

Toxic,

I'd get the new rig. Unless you can get a great deal on all the work you need done. With the economy the way it is there are some great deals out there. I just did the same thing in the last few weeks and bought a 2006 901 CDX DC for a song. There are many boats priced well below their NADA value. Kind of hard to pass on some of these deals.

Dan.............

:unsure:Not to steal your post toxic, but Dan, I was looking at your 901 (I have one also) the one picture in your library shows a pvc set-up on your front pedistal. Is that for an unbrella? Chris F.

Tox

I faced the same decission last year when I switched to the Procraft. I had a 2000, 929 that had been reliable, but I was starting have small things pop up and alot of screw tightening under the rub rail. I decided with the pounding it takes on the Potomac and piece of mind of a warranty on the motor I would upgrade. I found a good deal on a demo boat with a new warranty on the motor and couldn't resist.

You have a boat to use so you can shop until find what you want and not leap in. I sold the Nitro after I bought the Procraft, sweated a little until it was gone, but only took about a week.

Good luck and what ever you buy I want a ride this winter on the hot side,

Steve

I ain't no guide but, it makes sense to keep it for that reason.

To a large degree, this is an emotional excercise, and not an economic one. Even if you need to spend 'considerable dollars' - the cost of repairs overall is generally far less than the cost of the new ride. Dependability, is only there till you start having problems, no matter how well you maintain it.

Having said that, the other item is whether or not you think you can maximize trade or sale value, with it in it's present condition.

Now, here is the other side. Right now (and probably the remainder of the year), boat deals are really getting good (so noted in several areas). If you really find what you want, and can swing a deal, then it may make sense to 'go for the gold'.

Best of luck on your decision.

Tex

This one's easy for me (I'm stuck in India with no boat today!!) Risk - Reward: Can you afford in CASH the delta to the new/newer boat with no impact to your family, lifestyle, retirement, safety... If so, then get a new boat for cash delta. if there is any risk to your financially, if you were to loose your job, guide gig's slowed down, the house needs a new roof... don't risk it.

Having used a few guides - i'd rather an older boat and a guide who is safe and puts me on fish, the boat is a tool not a sales point in my opinion.

Trep

I ain't no guide but, it makes sense to keep it for that reason.

Tru dat! I always enjoyed "one to go and one to show". Guiding is HARD on a boat. You'll know when it's right, either when you come across a deal too good to walk away from or a mechanical failure on your 9 that makes replacing it the best long-term choice.

Tox, my vote is to sell it, even though it has been good, and get the new boat.

My partner made the decision to not sell his at the beginning of last year because "it has been so good to him and just needed a little TLC!" Well last tournament of the year last year he blows the motor. Believe me when I say he takes care of his boat. The oil pump went out and the sensor didn't work:wacko: Well he got a great deal on the repairs and was going to look this year and with his company adding on a major addition he had no chance. Well, last night he was idling our for a Wednesday nighter and waved me over to say that his motor wouldn't run. It make a "clank" noise and quit. Wouldn't even begin ti turn over. He took it straight to his mechanic who called him right before lunch to say it was toast. He could fix it, but it would cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$

He is in the market for a new one right now.

Guess you could say he pushed his luck a little too far. But who is to say yours won't run great for year to come?

Gotta love these easy, non-emotional decisions that we get from time to time that makes life so interesting!

Randy!

Buy a new one - completely white if possible (never thought I'd hear myself say that before my current boat, as I've always been a dark color advocate - I've had red, green, black - but the white has been the easiest to care for - by a long shot.). Grey seats and carpet (solid color) - for the same reason as my first suggestion - easier care, easier to fix if they are solid color.

Plus, the white and grey background goes good with any of your sponsor logos!

All the best,

Glenn

I don't really think I have enough information here to say too much, I.E. how much yours is worth, how many hours, what you'd have to pay etc.... It seems that if you can sell yours at market, and buy below market, there would be something to gain. If you're real high on the hours, then I'd probably move it while I still could.

buy a "new" used one Tox.

I can get some smokin deals right now on used Pro boats (www.proboatconnection.com). Tell em Mini sent you.

Charley Hartley's 07 is on there. Its a great deal and TRICKED out.

Tox - from an economics standpoint, its almost always cheaper to fix/repair versus buying new. The items you list aren't major structural or engine issues, so the economics would counsel sticking with what you got. Plus there's a lot to be said for familiarity of the rig to you and you knowing the ins/outs of the rig.

On the other hand, a new shiny boat will impress clients and there are smokin' deals available. With warranties available, you have an extra layer of protection for stuff that goes wrong.

That all said, I believe this is completely a personal decision that only you can make from your unique perspective. Good luck with the decision and hope to see you on the hot side when the water stops boiling!

belive it or not, i totally agree with jim c.

good luck toxic.

mike c

The market for selling a boat sucks right now, so you should be able to get a really good deal, the flip side is the hit you'll take when selling yours. It sounds like you've got around $3500 worth of stuff to do to yours to get it back to where you want it. That's probably about a third of what the boat is worth 'as is'. After that money is spent you still have done nothing to extend the life of the 'meat' of the boat - just cosmetic issues.

My vote would be to do some shopping this fall/early winter when everyone is trying to unload their prostaff boats so they can get their new ones, you'll get on heck of a deal. Then sell yours in the late winter/early spring when the fever hits everyone else.

I really am not making this an emotional decision. My boat is a tool and it is like any other piece of equipment that is well used and dependable. Let's face it, age and hours have nothing to do with a motor blowing. Any one can go at any time difference being warranty coverage. As my mechanic tells me the efi I have is onw of the most dependable made. Other than impellers, fuel treatment, LU grease and plugs, there's not much else to do to a motor. If I pull the trigger its gonna be a new boat, not new used. I think that is the problem because clients will tear it up in no time believe me and I know that. My current rig I really don't care. It floats, it fishes great, it runs great but she is really getting beat up and I don't like to see that. When I say shop a deal I will really put a lot of time and effort into it. I don't want a memo deal because then you are locked into flipping the rig at the end of the year. As always, its about 50-50 here opinion wise LOL. I know my rig isn't worth much but it aint burnin no hay either. Decisions decisions.

TOXIC

Or.... you could contact all of your sponsors and work out a deal to get your current rig wrapped, and then just pay for new seats to match the wrap. The wrap would cover the gel coat issues, would look great, and hides scratches and bumps from client crankbait/spinnerbait hits. Then all you would have to do is upgrade electronics, and I'd be happy to hook you up with some phone numbers and place a few phone calls myself to try to get you a much better deal than retail. Give me a shout if you are interested.

All the best,

Glenn

I was just in the same boat as you Toxic, pardon the pun! I love my 896 Savage but after riding in the Bee Line 2100 Pro Vee, It made up my mind. Also the Price I paid help in the decesion.Alot of boat for the money. Plus it rides 100 times better than the Savage with speed to boot. I have got it to 74 gps mph, before she starts chime walking, I still have to learn to drive her. Good Luck on your decision.:D

toxic,

on sept 10th why dont we go 30 miles south of me and shop for a new nitro, maybe the first one out the door will carry an extra discount. maybe even more if you can switch your prostaff location.

mike c

Mike

I'm supposed to be getting transfered to that stores pro staff from Hampton but remember I am BPS pro staff not Tracker. I did the State Team thing many moons ago and it doesn't offer a good enough deal. Hampton begged me to come back on the team but I'm not going that route. In order to get a deal better than than the State Team I would have to do some things I'm not willing to do. Tracker is pretty strict on their team deals. Yamamoto is linked to Legend and KeelShield is with Triton. There are other options also.

TOXIC

Tox, get a new one. Don't you know a new boat catches more fish, I mean fisherman. That is what you are in business to do. Good luck with whatever you do.

Bubby:)

HA!! I am so beyond the hypnosis of a new boat LOL!! That's because I know what happens to them once they roll off the showroom floor!! The guy I fished with on tuesday has blown 3 motors on an 08 boat. Even though its covered by warranty, I could not afford to have my rig in the shop that long. It is an Evenrude BTW. Glenn might be on to something with the wrap.

TOXIC

Tox, I agree with Jim C. also..Although I don't believe it's just an economical issue with you. I think you might just have "boat fever" and nothing less than a new boat will make you happy..:rolleyes: I haven't heard from you at all just how much you "love your boat" or "how much you'll miss it". Trying to justify a new boat only causes ulcers!! If you want a new boat just go get it Scott. Hopefully it will be as good to you as the last boat has been!! And that's what you have to wish for. Then you'll have a brand new boat that you're proud of that's not having any problems at all. The old one may not have had many problems but when is it going to start nagging you like an old fish wife wanting new this and new that or don't come home tonight, etc., etc., etc.....

Good Luck with whatever you decide Scott! I know you'll make the right decision!

Uncle Billy

Tox we have only had 2 heads go and they were overninte swaps from evenrude 2 days off the water..mostly because people don't let them warm up for a few minutes...you need a new boat while they are not selling you can get a sweet deal.....JR

Chris,

I sent you an email about the PVC setup for the umbrella.

Dan............

Hammer, get a new boat. You are a stand-up guy and deserve it. If I had the dollars I would buy you a new boat, so in the meantime get yourself one.

Pierre

Actually Unk, I am trying to talk myself into a new boat. My gut tells me to keep "old reliable" and not worry about the abuse clients put her through. It would drive me crazy to watch a brand new boat get trashed!! Its just that there are some grreat deals out there right now. That can't be denied. Dan had it right when he said that you need 2 boats guiding.

TOXIC

I think Glenn may be on to something with that wrap idea Tox. Like you said you have clients tearing up the boat now. Imagine what you will feel like when they start tearing up a brand new one. I know i would be &#$*@%! $%&&@! if i had to watch a brand new boat get unduly beat up. Im all for new boats but if you have on that is in good shape and has one of the most bulletproof motors ever built id keep it if it was me. I know you are like me and you really like to take a+ care of your stuff. I cant imagine being a guide, i stopped fishing draw tournaments because i got sick and tired of what the non boaters do to my boat. I had some good ones and a lot of bad ones. The last straw for me was the jacknut that was flicking his cigraette on my carpet. He could have cared less about what he was doing so we had a little "confrentation" after i asked him nicely once to not do that. Needless to say he didnt light up the rest of the day and i think he was a little afraid for his personal saftey. If someone had that much blatant disregard for my new boat they would need a full body cast after i was done with them.

Get a new one!!

I always like watching other folks spend money.:lol::lol::lol:

I say dump a couple of grand into some new seats, carpet, electronics, etc. You know what you have underneath is reliable, and will have an almost new boat on the topside.

Plus alot less stress than when your clients are a little "careless" in a brand new $40,000 boat.

Steve

Hammer, get a "newer" boat.....you can upgrade the "stuff" but the boat is what it is....still almost 9 years old.....

I know a well kept Ranger for sale!

Hey Toxic, I didn't see you or anyone that knows you mention this, remember your boat sets outside with no overhead cover on it!!! Think about that with a new boat, I would stay with the one you got for now until you can build something to store a new one!;)

He can store the new one in my barn (must leave the keys of course). I'll bring it to the MVM get together. Think of how much $ you'll save on gas driving up without a big ol' boat behind you.

Gene

Latest posts

Back