What is the difference between Shimano's Curado and Scorpion?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
I see the Scorpions advertised all the time on e-bay. They're red instead of green and advertisers claim a retail price wa-a-ay over that of the Curado.

Any real difference?

me!

The Scorpion is a souped up Curado (better bearings) that is/was only available for retail in Japan. There are numerous sources to get them in the US including EBay.

Mini

Thanks, Mini! E-bay is where I keep seeing them and I just put a bid in on one..... Thought that, before I got into something I didn't want, I shouldd had oughta ask!

In your opinion, are they "better" than the Curado? And, if so, what sort of $ figure would you attach to the "better"?

Thanks!

me!

They are better, but I use Curados. That should tell you the difference.

There have been many discussions on the Bash Fishing Home Page that deal with upgrading and US Curado to similar to a Scorpion by using ABEC5 (i think) bearings and HotSauce lubericant. Personally your money is better spent on fishing lures or gasa for the outboard. More time on the water will get you more fish, not better bearings in your reels.

Mini

Scott, I do think they may cast light lures a little bit better than a Curado, but not enough to justify the cost. Last year I upgraded my Curados and Chronarch to ABEC 7 bearings and my Lew's to ABEC 5s I have been using yellow Rocket Fuel lubricant and can tell a small difference, but using that good Ol' 20/20 hindsight, I can see that it was a poor expenditure. The guys on the BFHP rave about the high grade bearings and exotic lubricants, but to be honest I think it's just a case newer, bigger toys...Cmack

Scott, I have 7 curado's and 1 Scorpion. The difference between the two are minimal in my opinion except for the price. Curado also offers a SF model which is a little more but will cast a lure a mile. I also have one of the curado 100's and they seem to throw light lures very well. i believe when i bought it new ir retailed for around $129.99

Thanks, Guys!

I'll go ahead and bid on the Scorpions - but I just won't offer to pay any more than I would for a Curado. I'll eventually try a Curado/Scorpion, but I'm just too cheap to buy one outright!

Thanks, again!

me!

Latest posts

Back