*** WANTED*** Information on fishing at Smith Mountain Lake

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mebassn

Reaction score
I am going to Smith Mountain Lake June 14-24th and would like any information on places to fish, i have never been here before, but do have a mapping GPS and am willing to look.

Thank You

Eric H.

Eric,

I can't help you because I have no idea were that lake is. I just read your member profile though. It's pretty old. How's the fishing in FL treating you these days? Have you beaten your 8.2 lb personal best yet? From Maine no less. I'm in NH, were in ME did you fish or catch that big one?

Marke

Marke,

Florida is still giving me a hard time but i have come close to 8.2 with a few 6+'s but nothing to break into that trophy range yet. As for SML it's in Virginia, the western part 40 miles or so east of Roenoke (sp).I caught the big one on Cobbossee, which is between Augusta and Winthrop. Black and Blue Jig & Pig in 3-5 feet in November.

Eric

Eric,

I spent 6 years in VA and always thought that Smith Mountain Lake is one of the East Coast's best kept secrets for large mouth bass. That along with Kerr & lake Gaston. I still have allot to learn about the bass here in New England but have yet to see anything like the fish down south. Resident wise I may be a Yankee but at heart still a true Southerner.

It's been many years since I have fished there so I can't give you any pointers other then you should have a good chance of boating a 10 lb fish.

Have fun and rip some lips!

Cass :)

I fish smith mtn lake regularly. And for large mouth you should stay above hale ford bridge. The water is not so clear and the boat traffic is not so bad. Look for structure, ie points, wood, and boat docks. If you want stripers look below the bridge. the water is crystal clear and very deep, start around the "s" curves and neqar the dam. The best fishing is at night. And i cant stress this enough be careful and keep an eye open for other boats the lake gets very crowded and the larger boat always has right of way... or so they think.

mike

Latest posts

Back