"UP" North Bass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Lambeth

Reaction score
I just got back from a great weekend of bass fishing in the Michigan's UP. My family owns a cabin on a chain of 5 smaller lakes (>300 acres) that has unbelievable bass fishing.

I landed 7 bass over 20 inches during the week along with a lot over 17. The bass basically get ignored up there because all the locals target walleye. Normally I get a ton of smallies, but, for some reason, last week was mostly largemouths.

It was definitely worth it to pull the Nitro 500 miles (getting 11 miles per gallon) for this trip!
UP Bass.jpg

That's down right nice, looks like you enjoyed yourself. Do northern bass taste any different than southern bass?

Sweet!!!......Gotta love Michigan fishing!! I just checked your profile and I see you live in Waterford!!..Me Too!! Small world man!!! Where do you live??

I live over by Crescent Lake....just south of Eliz.Lk. Rd.;)

Mac

JDJ, I threw em' all back for next year. If I clean a fish, it will usually be a walleye.

Mac, I live south of Cass Elizabeth Road over by Cass Lake. I usually fish Cass Lake around here because it's so close to my house (and a pretty good lake).

Dave - Great pic and sounds like a great time! So when is Open House for NTOWS members??? LOL!!!

JDJ - Southern bass taste a bit different, the spices (Cajun and BBQ) is baked right in the water!!!! BBWWAAAA

Dave,...that's cool......we'll have to hook up sometime and go fish Cass together,....I like that lake too! Let me know when you have some time and we'll giter'done!;)

Mac

Wow nice fish! Truely jealous.

Where's Michigan anyway? I thought it was part of Canada Heh? Didn't they USED to have a pretty good college football team years ago?

Anyway I love to get into some of that. You all are blessed to have water like that.

fatrap

I have to admit the bass fishing up north is much better in the south for numbers and average size. The part I miss the most is before heading out you know you are going to catch them just don't know how many or how big. IMO the bass fishing up there for me anyway is much easier than fishing where I currently live. When I leave the driveway in the morning I know if I catch five it is considered a good day where up north catching 10 or more is a good day. Going up to the old stomping grounds sure does spoil a man!!!

Dave, Thats nice a looking fish.... I have fished Indian Lake a few times... The wife was born and raised in Manistique....

KB

Mac,

I may head out to Cass for a few hours tomorrow morning (weather looks a little risky). Let me know if you're interested. You can show me some tricks.

I'm hoping the water is a little cooler and the action picks up. Lately, I've had to go real deep to get any decent action

KB,

My cabin's about 20 minutes north of Indian Lake. I want to try that lake one of these years. Heard it gets pretty treacherous on a windy day.

One of the roughest boat rides in my life was on that lake...

The wifes brother had a house on the river feeding the north end... we had to get to the camp ground on the southern shore, Indian Lake State Park.

14 ft vee hull aluminum with a 9 hp took the wife and i 45 min. to cross the lake...

four footers ain't fun in that small of a boat!!!

KB

We come to UP every other year... Still have PLENTY of family up there!!!!!!

Ahhhh yes...Michigans U.P...gotta love it...!!! Where else can you catch 5 pound bass (small and large), master angler muskie, pike, walleye, steelies and lakers all in the same day if you time it right....!!! Then still have time for a few cold beers and a pasty at the end of the day..!! HAA..

I went to NMU in Marquette, definately some of THE best years of my life for a college kid who loved to hunt and fish....I missed alot of classes when the steelies were running up the Dead River. My roomate and I were the only students on campus with a 12 foot john boat chained to the bike rack outside our dorm as well as a charcoal BBQ right outside our first floor window which we used to cook up fresh fish and the occasional small game we killed. Our room looked like a very small hunting and fishing store...well, except for our guns which we had to store at the public safety building. We even had a 4.5 horse merc outboard on a stand in our room, it doubled as a coat rack in the winter. I'm back in the metro Detroit area now, but my old roomate still resides in Marquette....and quite happily I might add (Lucky Bastard...LOL).

That's a nice U.P. bass you got there Dave...thanks for sharing and stirring up some fond U.P. memories for me...

Smitty

Smitty...

Sounds like college was a great time for you too...

Sophomore year, fall semester, got a 9:30 AM T-TH Logic class required class for sphomores... Told Father Phil (small Catholic College) that if he moved the class schedule to afternoon sometime during duck season, we would take him with us... he was a sucker for the deal... Most of those classes Larry, my hunting partner and I and Father Phil made it to class at 2:30 just in time.... most of the time still in our hunting clothes.... Father Phil promised he would not take attendance if the class agreed to the time shift for those five weeks and he promised nobody would get less than a c-

Thereafter, found Father Phil with us a lot hunting or fishing...

Smitty,

I'm a Lake State grad. Went up there for 4 years on a hockey scholarship. I think it was the only school that had a room in the dorms that was dedicated to cleaning fish.

Smitty - " few cold beers and a pasty at the end of the day..!! HAA." Pasty?? You guys have nudie bars up there that require pastys?? LOL

HAAAA...thats a good one Trep.....quite honestly though, I'd rather eat a bad pasty than see a U.P. woman wearing pasty's....they would have to be the size of paper plates...they grow big women above the bridge...!!!LOL (sorry if I offended anyone)...there are a few nice ones up there....;)

Greg...college was tooo fun at times, if it was'nt for wrestling and a dad who was able to strike the fear of god in me from the other end of the state (he was/is a god to me) I'd be living in a van down by the river eating government cheese....:D

Latest posts

Back