Upgrading my bass boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Clark

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Nitro cdx 929 with a 250 hp Mercury Verado 4 Stroke. Everything is Stock. Bought new at bass pro shops in Concord NC on a whim. Passing through one Sunday afternoon with my wife and we stopped in Bass Pro (just cant drive past). I currently at the time had a 2002 17 ft Bass Tracker that me and my best friend since 5 years old used to fish. It was really nice because I upgraded to that from a 14 ft aluminum john boat with a 25 hp evinrude that we had since 1993 when we were in high school. But anyway seen the Nitro and it was my dream boat no doubt I had been looking at them with a plan to purchase one in about 5 yrs. This boat was exactly what I wanted 20'9" everything top of the line ready for tournament and it was on sale still more than any normal person could even think about spending on a fishing boat. But I knew this boat better than any salesman they had thats for sure. Just when I thought my wife would blow the whistle on my dream she encouraged me to get it and you cant buy a new boat without new fishing gear so after financing the boat and spending another 3k on Rods, Reels, etc. We were about an hour and 30 minutes from Jasons house. Stopped there on the way. His wife took my wife home and we went to the lake. So we thought we were set little did we know between work, wives and kids we didnt have a lot of time to fish so this boat is still virtually new less than 40 hrs all maintenance up to date. I am going to fish this year for sure and I know there are some upgrades I will need to make in electronics and also want to make some upgrades to motor for better performance and fuel mileage. What time I have had the boat on the water it tops out around 74-76 MPH depending on water conditions and the fuel mileage is somewhere around 4 miles per gallon if cruising at around 45 mph rpm @ 4200-4400 at that speed and at w.o.t. around 6k. What props do I need to take a look at to help the fuel economy and increase top speed a few mph. I am willing to give a little on the hole shot because most places that I launch from I will have anywhere from 10 miles to 50 miles depending where I am at. Also going to look at fuel injectors, spark plugs and new filters. Dont mind spending money just dont want to waste it.

I'd give the bearings a shot of grease, drop some sea foam in the tank with fresh gas, check the tires and go! The rest will sort itself out. Back in 93 I did the same thing. bought a new Nitro then burned out on bass tournament fishing. Used it six times in three years to pull tubers. The boat was more than ready when I was. Have fun.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back