Turning Down a Trolling Motor?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony arnold

Reaction score
I know this is an odd questions, but...I upgraded the trolling motor to 75 pounds of thrust when I bought my new 2011 Z6. Based on my previous bass boats, I wanted plenty of trolling motor. The issue I am having is that the number 1 speed is too strong. At number 5, the Motor Guide is almost a ski machine, but I like it. Is there a way to slow down the number 1 speed on this 24 volt system? The batteries will probably last a week, but I never thought I could have too much motor....thanks...tony

Find an old Minn Kota Maximizer unit. There is one on Ebay right now, but I think it's way overpriced. He does have a "make offer" tag on it though.

Other than that, your choices are limited to replacing with a motor that has a variable speed controller, or dragging something behind your boat like a wind sock, lightweight anchor, or a piece of chain (which I would not do).

All the best,

Glenn
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINN-KOTA-M.../400358314533?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=a

Or get a spare prop, alter it and keep the original for resale when you trade your boat later! :)

MotorGuide has thru the years many styles of props. Some of the older weed props like the 4 blade has less pitch than others. Also the lower powered props have less pitch than the newer ones. I'm not sure if you can adapt 3" and 3 1/2" styles. Some of the older 2 blade styles could work too. Trial and error.

I just bought a spare prop and then cut it down. It took about 10 minutes.

For all that are modifying the prop - any long term problems with seals after you start unbalancing and modifying the prop substantially? I ask because I have seen problems with the seals going bad and motors burning up when people start modifying the prop quite a bit or changing to a design that was not meant to used on that motor.

Years ago, there were some aftermarket props that a lot of people were going to for various reasons - more weedless, better speed, quieter, etc... You name it, there was an aftermarket prop that claimed it. Lots of warranty issues went along with those. YMMV.

All the best,

Glenn

I'm still trying to get my head around when the #1 setting would be too fast:lol: The most I have ever done is tap the TM to bump me when I just need to hold or re-position. Take it off constant maybe?

I too have never had a "too fast" at slowest speed. Back in the days I was running a 12 volt Minn Kota I broke the end off my prop. Vibrated but I ignored it. Ended up blowing a seal in no time.

2 blade or three blade?

A three blade will be a little slower but, not much.

No problem with the seals for two years now but I kept everything symmetrical and balanced the prop after cutting it down. Here is what I did...

1. Leave the prop on the motor.

2. I had my son steadily hold a Sharpie Marker against the prop.

3. Turn prop about three times to get a good line from the marker.

4. Remove prop from motor.

5. Using tin snips, cut the blades near the line but leave some room to sand them.

6. Sand newly cut blades to the sharpie line.

7. Put a screwdriver is a vice and making sure it is level with the ground.

8. Put prop on screw driver to balance it as you would a SS prop on your motor. (Check youtube for a video)

9. Reinstall prop.

For those that are wondering about "too fast" I use the full size prop for bass fishing but when I go for stripers of hybrids the trolling speed I need is can be as low as .5MPH. My 71# MG makes my boat move 2.5MPH on the first setting. I needed to slow it down but did not want to switch out trolling motors all the time. Switching props is MUCH easier.

Ron

Great advise and thanks to all. I was out today and almost lost my back deck passenger when I tapped the trolling motor in #1 speed. Too much, too quickly. I'll try the prop modifications. I need a spare anyway.

My Motor-Guide has a 12v/24v switch, on the left side of the foot pedal, essentially making it a 10 speed. 12v Position # 1 will barely move the boat, while 24v position # 5 lets me blast from honey-hole to honey hole. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back