trolling motor skeg broke off

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Colantonio

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Our trolling motor skeg(?) broke off level with the trolling motor bottom of the motor area. My father-in-law is all upset. He's thinks it surves a bigger purpose then just protecting the prop. Any comments much welcomed.

Anyone ever fix one or rig a new one with a clamp? We have a transducer mounted on the bottom of the trolling motor.

Thanks,

TC

Protect the prop??? Jeez, then mine failed miserably! :D:D Was fishing on the hot side at Anna when I got too close to Dike 2 (teaches me for trying to out fish Bill in VA!). Snapped off a blade on the prop. Of course the skeg was fine!

Frankly, I don't see the skeg doing much of anything. Try running without it and see if there's a noticeable difference. I'm willing to bet you don't lose much of anything except some very incremental prop protection.

I will add you must have hit something good for the skeg to break off, but not hurt the prop. Can you tell us how it happened?

My old motor guide did not even have a skeg on it. It worked great. I would say if the housing is not cracked and letting water inside, fish on. Save your money and by that new digital you've been wanting, when they go on sale in the fall!

Tony, I've been using mine without the skeg for a couple years now...... mine was broken off sitting in the driveway, by an errant 12" softball throw........ (kids playing catch)..... first I freaked about it, thought I'd have to buy a new trolling motor........ then sanded it and tried a couple bonding products, which didn't work........ and finally said "well, let's see if it works anyway"........

It's worked fine for a few years now.... and I keep a spare prop on the boat for good luck, but it's worked fine with no ill effects. I also have a transducer mounted and all is well so far after a couple year's use.

It should last until I'm ready to upgrade. Good luck with yours and don't sweat it is what I'd say! egMike:)

Latest posts

Back