Trolling motor problem update

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Ok, so I have had the battery load tested it checks ok. New Minn Kota 60amp breaker installed and checked all connections. I let the motor run (Edge 40 12v) for 10 mins on 5. It was not in the water pulling the boat so I know that does not duplicate what it is actually doing on the water. Here is the question. Do you guys think that the motor shaft and nut that hold the prop on should be HOT? The housing was not hot but the dang nut about peeled my skin!! It also started making lots of noises about 5 mins into the run period. I'm thinking it's only got to be worse when it's pulling the boat around. Trying to decide what is a good replacement as far as poundage. The 40 was only good on 4 or 5 setting. It would not really move the boat on 1 - 3. I really do not want to add another battery and cost needs to stay as low as possible. Thanks for any input.

Water is the cooling thingy for a trolling motor. Try it sometime.

Nope, not in water. Got the boat in my work shop for a limited time where it's warm and dry. Tired of fighting the problem, so I'm putting on a new trolling motor. That's the best fix and besides I need more thrust. Thanks guys

I believe you're gonna want to run it in the water. I was told to never run the troller except to see if it's on, without it being in the water.

fatrap

I will keep that in mind. I have a lot of looseness in the shaft and i know it's about dead. I went and got me a new Minn Kota 50lb Edge. Just could not justify the $1500 for a Fortrex and extra battery :)

Latest posts

Back