Tread wear

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Miller

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with one trailer tires wearing out on the inside and outside of the tread? Just on one tire. It's wearing like there is incorrect air pressure, but it's not. This is the second tire that is wearing this way. Please can anyone help???

I have a 95 170TF w/75 Merc on it.......both tires wore only on the inside. The axle they put on the trailer is the bare minimum (1500lb) and not really enough to support the boat and gear, which causes it to bow and subsequently wear on the inside half of the tires. I ditched the original one and got a custom 3500 LB axle, no more problems and rides a whole lot better. Also got new leaf springs for about $30.00 Since you are only wearing on one side, maybe just some new springs would do the trick, inexpensive check before looking for axles. Good luck.

JP

If its a dual axel trailer chances are good it from sliding the tire when you make a hard turn, like at a small ramp or into your driveway? If this is the case then you might consider rotating your trailer tires every so often..

BF

I had the outside wear on my PT175 with a 25hp. I think the axle is bowed up by design to handle a larger motor and weight in boat. With the smaller engine and rarely more than 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas I think it never flexes flat while trailering and rides on the outside of the tires. I repalced OEM with Marathons a few years ago and will see how it lasts.

*Bruce F thank you I think thats it. I have to make sharp turns to back down my drive way. that would explain why it's only one tire.*Downstream My axle is bowed also. I use to think there was something wrong with it, but like you said it is to handle extra weight.

Latest posts

Back