Trany Fluid - When to change?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - I have a LOT of conflicting info and need some help!!

How often am I supposed to change the auto trany fluid? Does it differ for the car vs. the Van (tow vehicle)? I remember when I had a new trany (at 75,000 miles in my Mercury) they said to change the fluid every 30,000 miles. I had the van's oil changed (it has 23,000) on it and I tow the tracker maybe 2/month, and they said it should be PINK and was a slight darker color and needed to be changed.

I just checked the manufacturer's specs in the car/van and both say inspect at 50,000 miles (replace if you are a taxi/police or do heavy towing/stop-go traffic) and 100,000 for normal driving?

Well?? Having dropped $2,800 into the Merc's trany 2 years ago (3 months before my mom totaled it) I do NOT want either of these new vehicles to need a trany anytime soon.

Trep

I typically like to get mine flushed/changed somewhere between 75-100K. Depends a lot on how 'hot' it runs most of the time. If you do a lot of stop and go 'hot' driving around Atlanta, I might be prone to have it flushed earlier, rather than later.

Most of your towing is close by, and it's 'light' towing anyway.

Tex

Trep.. do a search; this was discussed a few months back. Search "Transmission Fluid" was originally posted by Andy Z on 1-25-05.

I disagree with every manufacturer on this subject...

I change my trans fluid faithfully every year on my tow & work vehicles. My everyday personal drivers I change around every 30K - 35K. Synthetic fluid is all that will ever touch my vehicles. Trans fluid breaks down do to heat so you need to base your decision on where you live, how you drive, & what your vehicle is used for. Changing the fluid is cheap insurance compared to tranny issues. I have never done a tranny fluid & filter change that didn't show some partials of dirt & grime in the pan. That reason enough for me.

Do you have to do it as often as I do ... no I just consider it very cheap insurance.

Dennis

Yep I agree with Superdudy 100% I do mine yearly regardless of what the book says. I know Dodge says that the atf+4 fluid in my Dakota "never" needs to be changed. Doing it yearly it works out to every 25k for me. I do mine myself to keep the cost down but even at a couple hundred dollars to have it don its cheaper then blowing a tranny. I have onmly lost one tranny and that was on my last GMC and it only had 7000 miles on it when it bit the dust.

Denis - Thanks for the reminder, went back and read that post (where I said I do it every 30,000!!).

Now, since the Jiffy Lube place said my van's (at 23k) should be "new pink" colored and it was not, is that indicative of a need to change or is it OK to wait till I have the 30K checkup done and have it all done at the dealer?

Trep

Trep..

Two things change the characteristics of trans fluid; heat & dirt. I'm not sure what "new pink". Trans fluid should really be a translucent red color. Non-synthetic starts breaking down at anything over 200 degrees, that doesn't make it bad. If your fluid has a burn smell at all then I would replace it. If it is no longer translucent & look dirty definitely change it.

Quick note on fluid changes.. be sure that the system is being flushed or completely drained with a filter change not just dropping the pan or worse yet using an installed drain plug. (i.e. trans cooler & torque converter should be drained) Many places do not do this.

If you can, switch to synthetic fluid. A lot of places will tell you it in not necessary (& it's not) but it not their tranny either. Synthetic fluid dissipates heat better, lubricates better, & can with stand much higher temps so it will not breakdown as fast during it's life cycle.

As far as Jiffy Lube goes, well it is their job to sell the added services they offer, so be careful.

Dennis

What if anything does Amsoil do to factory warranty? The van carries a 10 year/100,000 mile trany warranty, that is one thing I do NOT want to mess with.

I'll probably have to call/ask that question.

Trep

Trep...

Amsoil is the way to go. Superior to all manufactures requirements. Will not affect warranty issues. If for some reason the manufacturer claims failure due to an Amsoil product, Amsoil will challenge the claim for you & will get the warranty repair done. They are an incredible company; it is the only synthetic I use in everything I own that has an engine. Check out their website for more information on their warranty.

Dennis

http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx

Hey Trep, I'm a tech at a Kia/Hyundai dealer the best/only thing you can do to the van is flush the trans using SP3 hyundai/kia fluid. DO NOT add anything else or you'll void your warrenty and most likely burn the trans up. I personally rec every 30k If you got any questions just email me

Tim N

oh ya it dosen't even have a trans filter, just an internal screen (non servicable)

Tim N - Thanks for answering quickly! OK so at the 30k checkup even though Kia doesn't say to inspect the trany fluid till 50k ,go ahead and have them flush/replace it? Sounds like it would be a good $100+ invested with no downside.

So it also sounds like with the Kia ONLY have the trany serviced at Kia? With the screen not filter, it is key to ensure someone knows what they are doing on this one.

the only place to buy SP3 is at a kia or hyundai dealer(your van is made by hyundai) it might be alittle pricey at a dealer to have the service done, BUT for your warranty you need to use that specific fluid other wise if you poss. need a trans down the road and show the dealer you had a service done with the wrong fluid they will decline to cover under warranty. (you'll be paying for it)

trust me on this one, the warranty reps can be a real pain in the a$$. and since you tow with it the dealer might try and blame abuse

, just cover your butt and play by kia's rules!!!!!

oh ya 2 weeks ago had a sedona with 165,00 miles on it!! only 2 warranty claims in that time, battery and a headlight

any other questions just fell free to ask

Tim N

Thanks Tim, will do on the trany fluid change.

This is our 3rd van (first was a 2 year used Merc Villager, same as the Nissan Quest in the mid-90's, and then a brand new 99 honda odyessy). I miss the flip/fold 3rd row seats in the Honda but LOVE the seats and interior of the Kia, I feel like i'm in my dad's Licoln!!!

Trep

Latest posts

Back