Transducer Mounting 189 Sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Benoit

Reaction score
I'm going to mount a transom mount transducer on my 189 Sport and am looking for any advice on where to locate it. I would also like to use adhesive instead of drilling holes. Any good info would be appreciated.

Hey Kenny,

Not throwing stones, and not hi-jacking your threadh, just curious what influenced you to go with a transom mount rather than a thru-hull.

I have that boat and put my transducer in the bilge and it works well. The temperature is not accurate but hey the fish know it's hot lol. Depth gets iffy with rough water at 50 mph but I don't need it much at high speed. Do transom mounted transducers give that much better readings without needing some adjustment from time to time?

Ed, a thru-hull is for slow boats that cannot use a transom mounted transducer or shoot-thru--usually an inboard type boat. A shoot-thru is what Kenny should use.

Kenny if you insist on a transom mounted transducer, attach a mount board to the hull via epoxy and then attach the transducer to the mount board. The SternMate is a good product for that type of installation. http://www.sternmate.com/

Hoestly I went with the outside the hull ducer because it was given to me with the unit :D. I think i will just leave this one mounted on my trolling motor for now and when i get my second unit go with through hull considering its a better option. Now another question that arose out of the trolling motor mounting. If i was in say 3-6ft of water the unit would read .8ft constantly. It would start working correctly if i got over a deeper hole though. Its a cheap unit but I'm sure it shouldn't be doing this. Hummingbird 525.

Kenny B,

What version of software is your 525 unit running? It may need a newer version. The current version is 4.210.

Try turning the Surface Clutter menu to a lower setting.

If that is not enough, try setting the Water Type menu to the

Latest posts

Back