Trailer Tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Sumpter

Reaction score
I was getting my boat ready to put it to bed til March when I noticed the trailer tires first one side and then the other.They are cracked up everywhere both tires inside and out.Is this normal for a 3 year old Trailer.I don't mean little hairline cracks but big need new tires size.My hauling trips are only 10 miles and a few 80 mile round trip.

Tires crack because of UV rays. There are UV protectants in the tires that work their way to the surface as the tire flexs on the road, but short trips are not enough sometimes. After you get your new tires, try to keep them covered when parked, either in a garage or with tire covers. Not perfect, but it will help.

I am not venting, I am not venting, I am not venting. OK I am. By the time most trailer tires get to the U.S they have already started to dry rot (crack) You say the tires are three years old? You don't know how old they are unless you can read the code on the side of the tire. For a 10 mile ride, keep them. Anything more than that then you need to be replaced. Carry a spare, for that matter carry a spare hub with bearings and seal. You may never need either but you will meet someone who does.

BF

Thanks for the input.I do have a spare that I bought from a different source the same time I bought the boat and has been mounted on the trailer and its not dry rotted.Just doesn't seem fair.

The goodyear tires on my boat trailer had to be replaced after only two years due to broken belts. Maybe dipping them in water from time to time has something to do with it. The tires on my car trailer seem to last forever?

BF

Back