Trailer tire wear

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky Lohman2

Reaction score
My trailer tires are wearing too fast (2003 PT185). They wear out on the outside edge and the inside of the next tred section in. I have had them balanced and they are inflated to 45psi. Any ideas?

I had the same wear problem with the same boat ('99), trailer and original Tracker "bias" ply tires. I had the axle replaced because the dealer determined it was bent. In this case "WRONG ANSWER"!! New axle, new "bias" ply tires installed (not Tracker brand) = same uneven wear problem starting again in about 2500 miles.

Changed to radial tires and have not had any signs of uneven wear in about the same amount of miles. A friend of mine bought a new 2001 pt 175 and just replaced his tires this spring for the same uneven wear problem and his was far worse than mine for wear, but he had about 1/3 as many more miles. So far he is not noticing any wear problems.

If you search this website for tire problems you will see others have resolved this issue by getting rid of those "bias ply" tires and switching to trailer rated radials. Carl

It's the tires NOT the axles..trust me. Mine is not as bad since I check and make sure that they are 50 PSI on the dot and none less.

As soon as this season is over I'm takin' them to my buddy's tire shop and replacing with Marathons and the spare too...junkassbiasply:(

Thanks for the info.:D, I will air them up to 50 psi, and when I replace them I will try radials.

Make sure tongue is level or slightly elevated when vehicle is fully loaded including you. I ruined my tires in one trip with tongue slightly lower.

Latest posts

Back