Trailer Tire Replacement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hamilton

Reaction score
Question on the replacement of a Goodyear Marathon ST225/75/R15 tire for my trailer. I blew the sidewall out of the original (my fault) and used the spare. I have not replaced the spare (yet) (although Ken gave me a spare with rim albeit a 14" rim) and want to replace it soon. I have heard pros and cons about the Marathons and would like the boards opinion on what I should replace it with. I generally trailer my boat under 100 miles each year since I live at the lake.

Comments please!

100 miles a year? I wouldn't spend a lot on tires. I trailer my boat more than that on weekends, many times twice that. I put Cooper Passenger Tires on my trailer and I've had zip problems. I've had excellent wear on these tires for the last three years; I've had no sway or bounce problems. Tires that sit ... well, they don't need to be prety or expensive.

Marty - Thanks for the note! Typo on my part. Meant 1,000 miles! Duh

Bill

I had marathons on my old trailer for about six years before I replaced two of the four for wear. I probably trailer 3,000 to 4,000 miles a year. I would recommend using a trailer tire, but if it is going to be a spare top of the line probably isn't necessary.

Steve

Hi Bill,

On my tracker and my nitro I went the el cheapo way for the spare. http://www.northerntool.com/ sells the rim and tire for a descent price. I had always thought that its a spare and thats all I am going to use it for. But having a good quality spare may give you peace of mind. Thankfully my Triton came with a spare to match the originals.

Mark

Jaws - I'm with you. The spare was ordered when I ordered the boat back in '02. Peace of mind is the way I look at it. I think I will go with the original Marathon but having a tough time finding one locally. Most are all mail order and I find that a little foolish to pay for shipment of a tire.

Bill,

Is there anywhere down here that sells the tires (Williamsburg/Hampton/Newport News/Norfolk, If so I would be happy to pick one up for you. I am planning a Trip up to ANNA in the near future. let me know.

Mark

I sure agree with Jaws in regard to spares and peace of mind. About seven years, with my glass boat, I was coming back from the Eastern Shore of Maryland and one of my trailer tires delamenated.It didn't blow but all of the tread was gone and all you could see was the steel belt. I pulled over and changed that tire with my spare and went on my way. Less than ten miles down the highway that spare blew out! Ok, what to do now? There was no place before the Bay Bridge to get a tire. I put the delaminated tire back on, crossed my fingers, turned on every flashing light that I had and continued on at 20 mph or even less. Boy, people weren't happy with me.:lol: I was riding on a steel belt and praying it would last. The scariest part was crossing that bridge and anyone who has crossed it knows what I mean.

I don't even remember what brand tire I have on now Bill but I'll look in the morning.

You should just get a towball on your lawn tractor where you live.:rolleyes:

Uncle Billy

Bill - try http://www.selecttire.com/ for lower priced trailer tires. They sell Transmaster, Maxxis and Towmaster tires. I believe Tracker uses the Towmaster as OEM. Since you tend to tow two blocks down and two blocks back for the rig, those should work!

Latest posts

Back