Trailer Maintenance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Soult

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to grease the bearings on my trailer for the first time since I bought it. I've got the grease and was wondering if I will need to buy any other parts to do the job, assuming that the bearings are in good shape, like new seals or caps?

Do you have a grease gun? If not, that would make the job a little eaisier.

Harpo

Yes I've got a grease gun. I assume I will need to buy some cotter pins to replace the current ones, anything else. Can I user brake cleaner to clean the bearings with.

Bob are you planing on pulling the bearings apart or just greasing them from the zerk on the outside? If you are going to pull them apart you will need at a minimum new seals and new cotter pins. If the bearings or races are pitted or corroded you will need to replace both as a set. the best solvent i have used for this job is laquer thinner, put some in an old coffee can and soak the bearings in it, you will also need to clean them with a bruch some to get all of the old grease out before you repack with new grease.

I was afraid that seemed like a dumb question (on my part) but you never know.

I didn't have to replace any cotter pins. If your bearing are like mine there is a grease zert lookin' at you when you take the cap off. Just pump some fresh grease in there until you see it ozzing out from the rear. Wipe off the excess put the cap back on and you're done. Just takes a minute.

Harpo

Bob, the grease I've found that I like is Citgo marine grease. It's blue and I just like the texture of it :).

Not always a good thing to pump it in till it squirts out the back.....That can damage your rear seal. Likewise, with bearing buddies you shouldn't fill them till it squirts out the overfill holes.

TOXIC

Bob - so you have standard bearing buddies or the newer style Flow Thru hubs? My 2000 has the flow thru ones, all you do is pull off the cap, squirt grease thru the zerk till ALL of the OLD grease comes out the FRONT and you're done.

I agree with Tox, if you are getting grease out the BACK of the bearings/wheel you've blown a seal.

Trep

Another thing with the flow thru ones. when you pump grease in and the old grease comes out mixed with water you need to change the seals. I just did mine yesterday and i documented for the grab bag and i will put together an article when i get a chance.

Jim - Cool, i've not had the water come out yet (luckily) but when I do i'll look to your grab bag (when it's posted)!!

Just curious, how often does everyone check/repack bearings?My rig was new in March and I now have about 3k miles on it.Just pumped some grease into the zirks untill it pushed some old greese forward, should they be repacked once a year or do you go by mileage?

OK this is the second time I've been misunderstood on this subject. What I'm trying to say is the grease from the back of the bearing flowing towards the front (outside) side of the bearing. True, if you're getting grease coming from the back (inside) of the bearing you've got a problem.

Harpo

Thanks for all of the help guys. I took the dust cap off an saw the Zert. I'll just do as you guys say and put the new grease in until the old pushes out the front. My neighbor uses the green label marine grease from Wal Mart and swears by it. He's used it for years and has never had a problem. This forum is terrific for a new boat owner like myself. This job is going to be a lot easier than I thought (knock on wood).

Al, i only replace the seals when they start leaking. If the grease that comes out is disclored compared to what you are putting in then you most likley have water getting in the hubs. also if you have grease slinging on the inside o the rin the seal is leaking. Like i said i only do mine when they are leaking and i have only doen them once on my current boat in some 50k+ of towing.

Latest posts

Back