Trailer braking issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Mullin

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2000 Nitro NX882. We are having some issues with the brakes on the traier. The cap that is on the trailer near the trailer tongue has popped off and is gone. This is the cap the goes over the oil refil cap. Before going in reverse I am supposed to turn the missing cap to allow the trailer to go in reverse without locking up. Anyways, now when we try and go in reverse (especially while going up hill) I can hear the brakes locking and it makes a very loud screeching sound. It's really hard on my trucks transmission to get the trailer moving. Is there a way to disengage the braking system? What should I do?

BM

Mac,

Are you sure that would work? I thought that the selenoid only released the brakes when power was applied, such as when the reverse lights come on? If you unplugged the wiring harness, it would get no power, so the braking solenoid would never disengage? Yes / No?

RoyC

I have the same boat and trailer. I lost my cap, but found a place online to get one:

call USA Marine 1-800-370-BOAT. They had a bunch instock....about $24 shipped...had it in 2 days.

Eric

my bad,...i was thinking of a different issue I had with another trailer...:wacko:

Brent,...just get the cap per Eric's post.....that's what you need!!

Thanks Roy & Eric!!;)

Or......you can put "something" in the recess where the trailer tongue compresses. There is also a lockout switch on the bottom of the tongue I think, I have never had to use it. That is why we have 5 pin light connections rather than 4 which are on most trailers. The 5th pin operates the reverse lights as well as the solenoid that allows the trailer to move in reverse without locking up. Sometimes you have to give it a couple of tries in reverse to get the solenoid to click...right Mac?? My trailer acted up trying to back into his in-laws driveway one year. They can get finicky, I'm sure mine will go out sometime.

TOXIC

Ok great. I will go ahead and purchase the new cap. Eric, was it easy to install? It also looks like the brake fluid that goes in under the cap is low. Any suggestions on what to fill it with? Brand?

I purchased the boat this summer, so I have never filled it before.

BM

My 911 CDC trailer has two possibilities for backing. First is the 5-wire harness that locks

out the master cylinder - works automatically as long it's plugged up to the truck. The second is a pin that is inserted into a hole in the tongue directly aft of the coupler socket. It prevents movement of the tongue/master cylinder actuator when backing. It's a pin that is wired to the trailer, it may be your "safety pin" on your tongue lock. The plastic cap(mine is from Tie-Down Engineering) is just a dirt/dust cover. The master cylinder cap(where brake fluid goes), is screwed in.

TM

BRENT,

I HAVE 1999 NITRO 896 SAVAGE, IT HAS THE SURGE BRAKES YOU ARE SPEAKING OF. THE CAP IS ALSO MISSING OFF MINE. IF YOU NEED ANY INFO ON THIS BRAKING SYSTEM SOME ONE FROM THE NITROOWNERS FORUM WAS KIND ENOUGH TO SEND IN THE WEBSITE YOU NEED TO CONTACT. I HAVE READ MUCH ON THIS WEBSITE AND IT HAS A WEALTH OF INFORMATION. YOU CAN ALSO GETS PARTS FROM THEM , I ASSUME.

---- WWW.UFPNET.COM/ACTUATORS/TABID/54/DEFAULT.ASPX----

YES THE TRAILER DOES HAVE A ELECTRICALLY ACTUATED SOLENOID THAT ENGAGES WHEN THE VEHICLE IS PUT INTO REVERSE, IT OPERATES FROM THE BACKUP LIGHTS. TOXIC IS CORRECT YOU CAN USE A PIECE OF STEEL IN THE RECESS HE IS SPEAKING OF IN A CRUNCH.

BRANTLEY

Brent,

Thank you for the link. One would think that Tracker would provide this type of basic info with the trailer when it is purchased. They could provide the websites for all of the installed prodcuts on the boat, motor & trailer system.

Thanks again,

RoyC

The manufacturer paperwork SHOULD have been included with your boat and trailer. Every Nitro I have owned was.

Well you can flip your trailer connector over (yes I know they dont fit right, just make it work) then turn on your parking lights. It will supply power to the reverse lock out solenoid and you will be bale to back up. If you cant, then the solenoid is bad.

Back