Trailer Bearings

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Jordan

Reaction score
I need some information and I feel sure there is someone who can help me. I have a 2002 PT 175 Bass Tracker Bass Boat. I have never replaced the wheel bearings on the boat trailer. I grease them 3-4 times a year and I guess I have been fortunate according to some people in the fact that I have never had a problem. I spoke to my local dealer and he said by all means a trailer that old should have the hubs torn down in order to check the bearings and races. He also said it is very likely they will need to be replaced along with the seals of course. The cost per side with me doing the work is $25. Is that a fair price or can I go to someplace like NAPA and do better on cost and get the same quality items? If I do go to a parts store what bearings, races and seals do I ask for? Any help is appreciated.

The bearings and races should have numbers on the edge of them. Sometimes hard to read and the seal is the same way.

That price sounds about average. Just make sure you get the procedures to adjust the bearings when you put it all back together. It is easy to tighten the spindle nut too much and burn up the bearings.

JP

Pull it apart and inspect the bearings. If there is no signs of rust, wipe them down, repack and go on. It sounds like you took good care of yours. But if needed you can get replacements at almost any parts store. $25.00 per side sounds about right.

Check closely for scratches and pits like Bruce said and you should be good to go.

Also check the heat on your bearings every once in awhile when you do a rest stop.

I regrease mine every couple months by pumping enough grease in until I see "new" grease coming out....I think this is the best approach to maintenance on bearings with EZ lube hubs. BTW.. I also keep two spare sets of bearings and races in the boat and a grease gun (full) just in case of a highway failure.

Latest posts

Back