Tracker Force 120

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Lavely2

Reaction score
I have a 1996 170 DC with a 120 hp Tracker Force. I bought it from the original owner who bought it new in 2000. He claimed the boat had hardly been used because his fishing partner moved away. The appearance of the boat and motor support this story, it looks like it came out of the showroom. I am wondering, though, if anyone else with this motor has any advice for keeping it running as good as it does now. I've heard Force motors only like high octane gas and premium synthetic oil so that's what I've been using. Where I live we're still able to get non-ethanol so I also do that. Is there anything I need to keep my eyes open for with this motor?

Every motor will do better with premium sysnthetic oil... I do not know that it needs premium gas... Somone on here may have better info...

I have always liked the Force motors (my experience was from when they were Chrysler), they had a good holeshot but lacked a little on top end. They are a very simple motor with no 'extra stuff' to break. You only need to run the basic 87 octane in it and try to unhook the gas line and run the gas out of the carbs after every trip, and for sure do it for the winter. I always ran a little rich on oil, usually an extra 15-20% for insurance.

I would not use higher octane fuel than is spec'd. It is not good for your engine. Higher octane is not necessarily "better". Actually many people thing you can get more MPG in their cars using higher octane gas, which is generally not true if it was designed to run on 87.

Hi Justin, I also have the 1996 170 DC with a 120 Tracker Force, so far so good. Had it about two months. I'll be interested in what is said about it as I'm a new boat owner so the more info the better. Happy boating.:) , I just noticed you are from Danville, I live in Shoreham, 10 miles west of Middlebury. Good to see another Vt'er.

Likewise, I bought a 96' 170DC RC Edition about 3 months ago, with a Force 90 instead of the 120 and love it so far. I've also been told not to use high octane as the engines are designed for 87. I'm also interested in any other info about these engines. What brand of oil would anyone reading this that has experience with Force motors recommend? Thanks and good fishing guys!

Latest posts

Back