TOW ME

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal, my tow vehicle took a dump (that's probably not a good term to use with Neeley around) and so I've got to confiscate Wifey's vehicle. I don't think I'll have any problems until I can replace the truck, but you guys tell me. Towing a 2000 929 CDX on a dual axle Travel Star trailer w/brakes, with a 97' Ford Explorer, Off road package (heavy duty susp.), V8 (5.0), Tow package (Tranney & Oil cooler), 3.73 gearing, and limited slip full time 4WD. Am I asking for trouble or will the old girl hold up under the strain (the truck that is)?

TOXIC

Should be more than adequate, but get the tranny serviced if you haven't lately.

Whata ya kiddin me??? I tow Buzz's behind my '94 Bravada with a 4.3 six cylinder and no problem. fugetabout it! In fact, wanna trade vehicles? LOL

On a '97 Ken, you cracked? It's just broke in! And whatever you do, DON'T change the tranny filter. Tranny will go within 1,000 miles afterwards every time. Ask any shop. If it's workin, leave it!

I've seen too many tranny's overheat and die with plugged up filters...just my experience.

As a rule, I get the tranny serviced every 30,000 because I've heard that Exploders have a nasty habit of dropping them. So far 80,000 and absolutely no problems (I bought it w/18,000). I towed a dual axle U-Haul from Kansas City to Virginia over the mountains in PA and I didn't even know it was back there most of the time. I do all of the maintenance myself except for that (and changing the pumpkin fluid). It has to be pumped out etc.. Can you tell that when I bought HER vehicle I had some alterior motives!? Problem is now she has the green light to take my "baby" the jeep when I'm fishing. Kind of a trade off.

Thanks for the help.

TOXIC

Sounds like a nice ride,should do fine. I would not worry about the tranny, you got another 20,000 miles before it goes. 100,000 seems to be normal for the 4 speed automatics. Bruce P.S when it goes tow it to MD and I will get you a deal......

Bruce,

Thanks loads, hopefully it will be long gone before 100k but I have a nasty habit of holding on to vehicles a long, long, time. My 93 Wrangler that I bought new has 160k + and I had an old LTD (what a boat!) that went 267k without a major repair. I traded it in on a Porshe---what a mistake. My business partner has a Silverado that dropped the tranny twice so he took it to a t-shop and the guy put tow truck clutches in it. No more problems!! My wife really likes the Exploder so I haven't been quick to get rid of it. Why do they drop at 100 anyway? Manufactured obsolesence? That always turns my crank when parts are designed to fail. Especially high $$ items like tranney's. That's why I made sure it had the extra coolers and I get it serviced regularly. Now, if you abuse them---you should get what you are asking for. I saw an Explorer pulling a 24ft SeaRay down the road and it looked like a big dog takin' a dump it squatted so bad. Now let me as a stupid question, Scott--- how is it that those big rigs can run 1 million miles and not fall to pieces? Obviously diesel engines will run longer but I mean the rest of the equipment? Where did I miss the point?

TOXIC

What the Jasper rep tells me is it's poor design on the tourqe converter it swells then chatters then send metal shaveings through the trans. 92 f150 150,201, 85 T-bird Turbo cpe 172,067 See I keep things for ever also. Since you kept up the maint on the trans I would put it out of your mind.

Bruce

Latest posts

Back