"To Hot Foot or Not"

• Thread starter Dan McCloskey [URL]http://C:Documents and Settings
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan McCloskey

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am recently new to the board and a new (2006 Nitro 901 CDX DC), owner. What a beautiful boat. Anyway, I am looking to add a few options that did not come with the boat and wanted to get your input on a Hot Foot Peddle. My boat has a 200 hp Opti on it. I have heard that if you have above a 125hp you should have the Hot Foot so both your hands are on the wheel. I have also heard that the Hot Foot is not as responsive as using the lever. Just thought I'd see if you all have any advice. I am also aware that if you ask a hundred people the same question you may get a hundred different answers. That's ok. I just want information to consider. Thanks.

http://C:Documents and SettingsUserMy DocumentsMy New NitroIMG_0261.JPG

I put one on my fisherman and all I have are small lakes I LOVE IT...Long Hauls I would consider it..It's so easy to use...JR

You'll get about a 97% approval rate for a hotfoot. They are a good safety device. The only complaints seem to be foot and leg fatigue on long runs. One tip to remember is to leave your old throttle cable idle in the harness, that way if your hotfoot cable breaks, you can hook up the old hand throttle in an emergency. Also it is best to get an adjustable one in case you sell your boat to someone not your size. I would have it dealer mounted, screws thru the hull are not a good thing.

TOXIC

For sure, you need a Hot Foot. I would say any boat that is capable of going +50 mph should have one. I would also recommend a Protrim turn signal type trim lever so you can adjust your trim without taking your hands off the wheel. Very handy in rough water.

Yep, ill echo the above comments. Paired with a pro trim its the way to go. I personally will not have a boat without both a hot foot ant pro trim ever again.

As far as a response time, i find a hot foot to be way more responsive when a hand throttle when it comes to makeing throttle adjustments. Leg fatigue isnt a problem at all if its set up correctly. First it needs to be in a spot thats comfortable and doesnt bend your leg in a weird way(ive driven a lot of boats that thats the case) and the return spring needs to be set tight enough to return the throttle to idle but no super tight(i find a lot of guys over tighten the spring and that makes it hard to push.

Yes vote from Shanghai! I ran a 40hp Tracker for 6 years and never really needed or understood why someone wanted one. Then 2 years ago I got a 700lx with a 115 merc, as Harpo said a 50+mph boat. It came with a Hot Foot, I immediately installed the Pro Trim, and i'll never have fast boat without both again. responsive is actualy a good way to describe it especially in rough/waves. You can keep both hands on the wheel to keep steering while applying the right on/off power to the motor.

Agree with Jim, it needs to be set up right for you. One option i've seen on a few boats, but haven't experienced is the Land and Sea hot foot, if I remember correctly (I could be wrong) that on allows you to use EITHER the hotfoot or the lever. I have a standard Hot Foot and love it.

50mph down the lake a rogue wave from a passing crusier comes by, turn with both hands, let off the hot foot, cruise over the wave, hot foot down and off you go!

Trep

Trep,

Land and sea no longer makes that foot throttle that allows both. I know a guy that has one and its a pretty neat deal, too bad they dont make it any more.

Jim - Dang, maybe i'll have to look on ebay if I get some extra cash this winter, I thought it was a great idea. My wife's legs aren't as long as mine so I have my hotfoot set for me, and when we take the family out its a bit tough launching basically by myself in a crowded summer ramp. With my Tracker, no hotfoot, she could drive the boat on/off the trailer and to the dock. Don't want her trying if she can't "reach the peddle"!! LOL I know, teach her to back a trailer down, she's not interested :)

silly question. YES!

As stated get the adjustable slide plate.

The Land and Sea version was prone to cable breakage.

The T&H is pretty much standard in the industry. There are other models though.

Mini - Didn't know about the cable breakage, good to find out. I'll stick with the T&H hotfoot. Only thing I may do is order the slide/adjustable mounting, would make it easier when my wife wants to drive! I think if I got her driving the Nitro, she'd be HOOKED!

Trep

Like others, GET IT. I love mine. Yes, there are times when on longer runs your foot/leg will get tired - but the control it gives you is tremendous.

Tex

Trep, the slide mount is really sweet. i have had one on my last two boats and i dont think i could be without it either.

Gentleman,

As expected, great information. No sense jumping into something "willy nilly" when you can get the straight scoop from you all. Again, thanks for the valuable input.

A Hot Fotting I will go.

Dan,

I don't have a HotFoot on my PT-17 but did on my last boat. When I bought it I had never used a HotFoot before. So the first time out my brother and I fished a creek on the eastern shore of Maryland. We decided to call it a day and I let him off to go get my truck. He backed the trailer down until I told him to stop and I was ready to drive on. The wind was howling one way and the current was very fast the other way so it was hard to line up. When I finally thought I had it, I gave it the gun and went flying up the trailer and when I thought I should slow down I put my foot on the brake! Yep, on the *^&%##$*(__&%%W BRAKE!!!! Well, there's a O%&^$# gas pedal so shouldn't there be a brake??? Fortunately I had one of those huge bow stops on the boat so all that happened was a huge bump and I started sliding back down the trailer but I caught that in time thank goodness.. The only bad thing that happened was to my ego while I watched my brother and three guys fishing from the ramp area break down and almost split a gut laughing at me.:eek::huh: Oh well, live and learn:rolleyes::D

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy,

That's one heck of a story. They say we learn from our mistakes. Can I use yours so I don't repeat it myself.

Thanks.

Dan................

Back