tip for reuseing fireline

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
For all the guys that use fireline.This stuff does not deteriorate over time like mono does,But the coating does get pretty beat up over time.when it comes time to change it unspool it off of the reel onto an empty spool,Then unspool it off of that spool onto another spool.Now go from that spool onto your reel.Now the beat up half will be buried at the bottom of your spool never to be seen again,and you will have brand new line where you want it.I usually rig up my battery operated drill to the spool to make short work of unspooling the reel.

Good idea, I'll try that this spring. I usually just use mono backing and change just the amount that I use plus an extra 20 yards for trimming.

Rob, how much mono backing do you use? When I used enough to cover the spool I still couldn't get a tight fit on the braid. It still slipped and cut in on a hook set.

I never had a problem. I filled about half the spool with 12lb XT that I had laying around and have left it on since. Never had any slip. Spooling directly on, I did. At first I thought my reel was shot because my drag was tightened all the way and the line was still peeling off. Then I realized that the entire spool of line was spinning on the metal reel spool. I put mono backing on it, and the problem was fixed. Plus with jigging, which is when I use Fireline you rarely make any long casts so I don't need a lot of line. That stuff is expensive, so I use mono to fill the spool and keep the line from coiling up too much with memory and then put on maybe 50-60 yards of fireline 20 lb test. It does start to fray after a while and turn light gray. That's when I trim back and retie.

Rob, when you are flipping with braid do you use a mono leader? If so, how long? What lb. test?

Rob, I was on vacation a few years ago and when I tried Spiderwire Fusion line I experienced what you did with all the line on your spool spinning. I also at first thought I had a drag problem. Must have taken my real apart three times trying to 'fix' my drag trouble before I fnally realized what my problem was.

Now what I do with all my Fireline/Fusion type lines is to put a very small strip of duct tape on my spool before adding line. This gives the line and knot just a little something to bite into which stops the spinning of all my line on the spool, and doesn't interfere with anything at all.

Steve, only in really clear water. I use about a 3-4 foot leader of 14-17 lb XT. I am going to experiment with flurocarbon this season. Usually I flip weeds or stained water where the fish can't see the line anyway and then I just tie directly to the Fireline.

Mike, I would try that, but since I fixed the problem with a mono backer, no need to. But I have heard of people doing that too.

What weight fireline you guys using on your baitcasters. I tried 20lbs but didn't like the feel. Cool stuff though you can pull your boat from snag to snag at that weight. (G)

Thanks

Wildwood

Wildwood on my baitcasters I usually use 14 pound test for fishing hydrilla with a tube. Hope this is some help.

Travis

I have been using fireline for a few years and have found that most of the time it does stay tight on the spool.But every once in awhile it will just peel right off like you were saying.There must be some kind of reason such as what kind of fishing you were doing last.Maybe flipping or such where you are using alot of slack line verseus spinner baits where the line is under tension may have somthing to do with it.I'll have to remember what I was doing last when the line slips.There has to be somthing to it.

Latest posts

Back