time for new line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al cannia

Reaction score
The ice is coming off our lakes so it's time to respool the reels with fresh line.Thinking about going with Flourocarbon line on all my reels, except for my topwater rod.From everything I have read,it is more sensitive and has low stretch and sinks,so I am guessing it works better for crankbaits and jerks.Would this be a bad idea,to run it on most of my reels except for topwaters?Also, does anyone know how well it would work on a spincast,like a Classic33?Thats what my wife likes to use and if it gives her more sensitivity while worming that would be a plus for her.

Al,

While florocarbon will work well on casting reels (and out here on the left coast most do use braids for top water now) it tends to "fall off and tangle" on spinning reels. (Not sure if a classic33 is a "closed face" spinner and have never tried that type reel with florocarbon.)

My suggestion for spinning reels is McCoy's Mean Green. It's a co-polymer type line with less memory than florocarbon and better sensitivity than mono lines (tried the P-line type of Floroclear and it also has too much memory for smaller reels). McCoys works well for me on smaller reels that you need to really fill up to be able to fish deeper or farther out from the boat but don't want to have the extra weight of a bigger spool reel in your hand all day long. The line in either 6 or 8 lb. holds up well, hard to break off and seems to tie well.

Give it a try, you won't be dissapointed.

Tom(fishfafun)

p.s. Not sponsored but just a satisfied customer....

I agree Tom:) I'm trying the new Suffix line this year..it's supposed to be good stuff. I use Cajun Red Cast for crankin' and spinnin' and love it:) I don't think clarity of line is as important as it's made to be either.

Myself I use 4 lb. flouresscent green line for crappie too and will outfish others:)

I am trying some vanish transistion on a spinning reel this year. Most others I use XPS mono, and rigging my jig combo with Stren Super Braid (40#).

I am still contemplating switching my spinnerbait combo to flourocarbon line, but haven't as yet.

Tex

I like flouro for certain situations but, feel for reaction baits...it's not needed. Flouro has too much memory for me to use all the time. Plus with the price...I can't respool as often:(

You'll love it CJ for spinners and cranks but, it ain't worth didly for finesse...you just can't see that red believe it or not. What I like about it is it's strong and lays like thread on spinning reels...no kinks:)

Tee, do you have the RED CAST or RED Lightning, I beleive the one I ordered is the cheaper of the two. I got 1450 yds for $6.99.

I plan on using it on a MH Spinning outfit and on a Baitcast for flipping jigs.

Nobody talkin about YO Zuri hybryd line,any members here use it? Also checked out the Trilene Sensation,I like the feel of that line,nice and limp,may have to try a little of a few different brands.Maybe try some Yozuri with a Pline flourocarbon leader for clear water finesse fishing.

I've been using BPS XPS flourocarbon for the past few years and love it for just about everything, but topwater. (It's a very dense line.) It has great abrasion resistance and a much less drag factor in the water because of the added density in the line. I would not suggest ANY flourocarbon for your Zebco 33. You'll probably pull it back off after the first day on the water if you do. (They all have a high degree of memory, some more than others.) Good luck!

Latest posts

Back