This sums it up nicely!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
This is from BASS FAN......it's a slamdunk opinion of what 99.9% of the feedback was at the BMC regarding the latest IKEscapade...:angry:

To Mike, From Mike

Monday, February 27, 2006

by Michael Jones

(Editor's note: Michael Jones is a former BASS senior writer who's widely regarded as one of the best bass-fishing writers in the world. He also co-authors the Big Bass Zone column on BassFan. He contacted BassFan and asked that this opinion column be published "not because (he) had an axe to grind with Mike Iaconelli," but because "countless individuals have changed this sport and spent lifetimes doing it. The sport of bass fishing has never started and finished with tournaments. It's much more.")

Dear Mike,

You should be worried, and not because a lot of vocal old-schoolers are threatening to pull their personal plugs on the S.S. Iaconelli. No, those guys will always be the fly in your ointment

Ya know at first I gave the guy the "benefit of doubt" but, as everyone seen he was a total and complete ass:angry:

If I were in control , he'd be banned from BASS and tell him to get some anger management classes for sure.

I'd like to kick his skinny little Jersey ass for disgracing the flag:angry:

Unfortunately I agree 100 % with what was written . I grew up reading Bassmaster magazine in the 70

what Mike did was wrong, but I will say this, how many people can keep control in a situation like that when your gunnin for 500k? I'm not defending Ikey boy, but in a way I can see how someone can literally loose it in that sport. So, your e-mails won't do anything to get him banned from the sport, his sponsors already support him in this, plus, according to Espn, that was the most watched Classic on TV, and IKE has alot to do with it, so more ratings, and sponsor views on this guy will actually help him! Besides, there was alot of guys cussin about Triton that weekend, and nobody mentions that, all focus on IKEY, with that said, he should be punished, just as Nascar punishes people for doing stupid things:rolleyes:

As a very casual fisherman, I've rarely watched this stuff on TV, and don't care a great deal about tournament fishing. I caught the final weigh in this past weekend, and I couldn't help but think I was watching some sort of weird cross mutation of The Truman Show, WWF Wrestling and Miss America. A melodramatic announcer prompting a bunch of pitchmen, spouting sponsor lines as many times as they can between commercial breaks and gimmicky light displays and music bursts. It looked and sounded phoney to the core.

I find it a little ingenuine that an insider (who injected a lot of personal ego into that article) would be so critical of the guy who most epitomizes the negative changes that have taken place in the sport, but who really just represents an exclamation point on the changes that have taken place. I don't think Mike Iaconelli is any worse than the anglers who stand up there in the plasticky weigh-in paegent. He's just a bit less in control. The villain wearing a black hat in a script filled with white hats. Everyone playing a part.

ESPN will eventually wake up to the same fact they and all other networks eventually wake up to in every sport: It's about the sport. If you loose sight of that, the people who are interested in the sport loose interest in the coverage.

Want to televise a boring sport? Look at golf coverage by CBS. Yes, it's boring, but it is done with class and a minimum of fanfare. They cover the play, and spend just a few moments on the ceremony honoring the winner. They don't promote personalities other than devote more camera time and commentary to players who are popular with the crowds, like Tiger Woods, or the late Payne Stewart.

What I find more and more, is that "Jersey" thing, what does Jersey have to do with Mike Ike, gimme a break,

Some of this 'promotion/enamorment' of certain individuals, is really played up by the media. It's the hot story.

During the Olympics, the really big stories that the American press were all over were the Ice Skating Duel of Personalities and the Bode Miller story(s).

Well, today (maybe late yesterday), the real big story finally got more recognition. Joey Cheek from Greensboro, NC. A great athelete, and a better person. Just came, enjoyed himself, took home some hardware and the hearts/souls of many with his humantarian jestures. He now has won the Spirit Award (mens version).

If you want a true representation/face for the winter Olympics, his should be it.

I believe that the DQ that Ike got, was wrongly assesed for the simply fact that ESPN/BASS have basically rewarded him the past 3 years for that same behavior. I actually don't fault him as much as ESPN/BASS for encouraging it.

Tex

I totally agree CJL...'Jersey is NOT to blame for his "actions" any more than Michigan can take credit for KVD's popularity. It's entirely the individual's doings.....

It's just the media's way of placing roots with a name....i.e. the "Jersey Kid"...and the "Kalamazoo Kid".

I hope Ike put a LOT of his cash the last few years in stable, long term investments and didn't blow it, so he can live, or at least stay off my tax $$!!! LOL

I actualy loved Rodman, could care LESS about his tatoo's, sex life, off court antics, its his life and I learned from my parents that you do NOT idolize anyone (tv, music, sports...) and that everyone is human. You can look up to them for their excellence in their respective field, accomplishments and so on but NOT for their off-time personal life.

That said, Ike seems like a spoiled child this time, either a) he'll learn, take advice from his friends and business associates, or b) he'll keep it up and we'll not see him much going forward.

Come on Chris we all know that all Ranger livewells come equipted with bass eggs . All you have to do is add water and instant five fish limit ! Sort of like sea monkey eggs ! :lol::lol:

LMAO @ sea monkeys!!

Hey TomMac,

I know it's still winter here for a few more months, but let me know when you're gonna be on Champlain. Maybe it'll be a little warmer this spring!!

Bob G.

Besides....we don't blame NY for LaMoist,......or Vt for BobG and Buzz,..........well..i take that back...BobG IS Vermont's fault!!!..LOL

And Georgia,..Trepper's all YOURS now!!!:p:blink:

Hey Mac,

I'm not even a freakin VT native like Buzz, just a transplant!! LOL!!

Bob G.

Hey Mac - Remember I was born in Jersey, so Maybe I should be the Next Ike!!! LOL

As much as we hate it, ESPN likes it. They had a choice on whether or not to air it. As long as it gets people talking, they will continue to give him footage, which gives his sponsors exposure.

Sad deal all around. No, you can't blame Jersey but on the other hand he was a source of pride. I've seen him at local tournaments. I've seen him with kids at these tournaments. I've seen him at Bassmaster University. In all of these situations he's been a pride to the state guys and the sport. This incident was very unffortunate. Even if it was some planned out media attention getter, trashing the flag, in my opinion was very, very regrettable. IF this was a planned dealhe needs new and different advisors. If he doesn't have advisors he needs some. Mike, I say to you, an apology is in order. Not only to your fans but especially to the Veterns that follow you.

The upside of this in our sport unlike "team" sports is that if he keeps winning he keeps fishing. If he commits an unforgivable violation he's out. No team members to "pick him up". This goes for all the other guys too. (Unlike baseball) It's what I like about the individual sports. (Golf, Tennis etc.)

Just one man's opinion. Thanks for listening.:(

Nothing intended about Jersey CJ;)

After the Classic he proved he's a kid and doesn't know how to control his emotions regardless of what's at stake:angry:

And to be honest, I don't think he would have played it up as much if he wasn't getting as much attention. I also heard the words "damn it" on air so there's a few others that could have conducted themselves a little better.

Should call him,"Physchonelli":lol:

No Problem Tee,

I'm not sure if I can cancel the Horse Head at this late hour, so if you get one just mail it back to the Meadowlands Racetrack, LMAO

CJL

Don't watch the tournaments much, but have heard the names batted about. So this ignoramus has to ask: "what did Mike do that started this controversy?"

JC

Jim - Read the post just put up:

Iaconelli's Response by Andy Z, 2/28/2006 14:30 ET

Category - General Information

It will explain from his perspective what he did, I didn't see it either just read it on line, since the CR*PPY Atlanta paper does NOT cover fishing ever!!

After reading his response...I really think the guy doesn't "get it":eek:

Bob I'll be up at Champlian in May,June and September . I'm putting a big sign on my basscat that will say " I'm from Jersey ,Bit I;m not Ike " :lol:

Thanks Trepman - sounds like he did some dead fish culling that wasn't allowed and used a bunch of profanity at a public event. What did he do to the American flag? Seems that if he somehow dessicrated the flag at a public event, along with the profanity, he'd be well deserving of some scorn.

JC

Ike is the "Jeff Gordon" of bass fishing.

Both are jerks !