The truth??? about Senko's

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay guys and gals. What is the 'skinny' about Senko's? I finally broke down and purchased one package of Senko's to try. Before I put one of them expensive baits in the water, I'd like some feedback.

1) If you use them, how successful and what type of confidence do you have in them?

2) What is your best technique and hooking method?

3) Any recommendations?

4) Anybody 'drop shot' with them?

Thanks.

I use them alot. ill try to answer your questions one at a time.

1) In my two club tournies this year i have placed second twice , all fish were taken on a senko. in both tournaments the bite was tough and the senko produced where other baits wouldnt. as far as confidence goes i think they are one of the if not the best bait i have in my tacklebox.

2) i fish them two ways. one is wacky style. and basically when you fish them wacky i have found the best method is to dead stick it. trust me on this one it works. cast it out and let it sink to the bottom. if you dont get a strike let it sit for as long as ou can stand it then move it a little bit and let it sit again. i find most of my strikes using this method come hen the bait is falling. i also fish them texas rigged. i do this in weeds when wacky just wont work and around docks, trees and such. i dead stick it some when fishing this way too but i also sometimes will fish it like a slug-go. if you texas rig them they will skip a mile.

3) i have a tip on how to make them last longer. go to home depot and buy some 3/8" shrinkwrap tubing. its found in the electrical dpt. cut the tubing into pieces about 3/8" long. when you rig the bait slide the tubing onto the senko to the area where you put the hook. when you rig the hook poke it thru the shrinkwrap and the senko. the 3/8" will fit a 5" senko perfect it your using a 4" just heat it with a lighter a little bit and it will shrink to fit. the shrinkwrap will make the senko last at least 10 times longer then without it. the plastic on the senko is so soft it tears very easily. i havent found a way to rig them texas style yet that makes them last any longer. if you want me to i can post a picture or two of what im talking about.

4) i havent tried it yet but i will. i got some of the new 3" ones that are made just for drop shot. drop shot is something ive never really tried but want to learn it. you have any tips ?

I almost fish them Texas rigged weightless exclusively. I like them in wood , docks , riprap etc. For wood and docks I pitch them where I want and dont do anything. Just let them fall on slack line so they fall straight and watch the line. Like Jim said ounce they hit bottom just let them lay there and twitch every now and then. For riprap I like to throw them parallel to the rock and work em like a jerk bait back to the boat, this seems good only in the morning or evening to me though. Dropshotting is something I have not done, but would like to . Im curious as to how clear the water has to be though, can it be stained for this presentation? Alot of Oklahoma lakes are muddy. Try em you will like em, Mark

I fish Senkos all the time. I throw them in the thickest weeds and work it back to the boat for largemouths. For smallies, I drift over the rocks and let it drag on the bottom. I rig them weightless, texas style. I use 5" for LM and 3" and 4" for SM.

Bob G.

Guys - I thought "Texas Style" meant a bullet weight just ahead of the hook? So what is "weightless texas style?"

Heading out on Saturday and want to try this - Thanks

Okay Trep. Texas 'style' means rigging the hook standardly through the top, out, and back into the plastic. Should hang straight. That's the basic style.

Normally, you would have a cone shaped weight above the hook, either pegged or not. Sometimes, people use the Texas Style but fish it weightless.

Hey Trep,

I would have said "Vermont Style", but that term hasn't made it to Bassmasters yet so you wouldn't have understood. Before the term "wacky" came out, the standard rig was Texas. The whole rigging name thing wasn't my idea!!!

Bob G.

Could ypu post a picture or two on how to use the shrink wrap that you talked about.

Thanks

I T rig the Senko's weightless. I haven't drop shotted them yet. I have had the best luck though with the Hula Grubs, watermellon or pumpkin with red flake, T rigged. I know you guys probably think I'm nuts but I have had excellent luck using a 1/4 oz bullet weight with a bead on a 4/0 Gamy hook. I have used it every time out this year and have yet to have a day when I don't land a fish with that combination.

TT,

Although the Senko's work, they are very soft and don't hold up well. After running through thick cover and a fish your two and they are all done. So stock up....

Marke

Latest posts

Back