The Most Bang for your Buck

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael S

Reaction score
i have read lots of posts about people who use the Curado. And I have to admit it is a very nice reel. But I feel that for the best quality and price its hard to beat an Ambassaduer 5500C series reel that you can buy at Academy for $49.00 any day of the week. I have used these reels in all types of applications and conditions and I have never had a problem with them. But then again this is just my 2 cents worth.

About 15 years ago the ambassaduer 5500c was the best bang for the buck. Believe me, I heard it every time I went fishing with my two friend who swore by them. But over the last 15 years the cheers have turned to jeers. They believe that the quality of the reel has gone down. They each have one or two 5500's from way back then and they are still the best but the ones they have purchased lately are just not what they used to be.

I personnaly don't like the big round reels. That has always been my only gripe with them. But that is just personal preference.

Wolf

I like the low profile reels better. I do use a Shimano Corsiar for my C-Rig but everything else in the smaller low profile style. I like the eon 3600 by abu, just wish it didn't have so much plastic on it, I used one up in a season.

I use 5500c's that I bought for about $60 (add in inflation)in the mid 1970s.

They're $49 now?!?!?!? Maybe the quality has declined... but I love 'em.

Well I have about 4 rangeing from the late 70's all the way to one I purchased a few months ago, and I have never had a problem with any of them. I know BPS has them for $60. If you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors store around you they have them for $49, I haven't found them anywhere else for that cheap. I haven't noticed a decline in quality, just in price. And I am sure there are better reels out there today, but for a man on a budget I think its hard to beat the price and quality of this reel.

Latest posts

Back