The Color Red

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael S

Reaction score
I have a question with all the baits and hooks on the market now a days....I have seen a real flood of baits and hooks that they call bleeding. And I have heard how well fish see the color read in the water and it really excites them.....then on the other side of the coin you have a company like Cajun Fishing line claming that there red line will become almost invisible under water?

So the question is which statement is true...Can fish see red or does it fade away like the line company says it does?

It has a triggering affect WHEN the fish can see it, such as in clear or slightly stained water. BUT,..it's also the first color band to disappear or turn "black" when light is low...ala DEEP water. A deep diving Red crnkbt will look black to a fish if it's fished deeper than the light can penetrate......but if it's fished shallow and the fish can see the color...then Red is deadly.,...especially in the spring!

I also think the Red line is beneficial if you're a line watcher,..especially when pitching or flipping jigs/worms, etc..etc..like the other Hi-vis lines. But, as far as "dissappearing"??..I don't know,......everything disappears when it's deep enough!!! LOL

Most craws on just about any lake will have craws in early spring that hatch out and are mostly red or even chartruese too.

TEE

well, I have seen cases where red sparkles in a soft plastic will catch fish where not there would not.

I think at times it is the contrast in the flash, or difference, that is key...

However, in clear water, I ahve seen red hooked texas rigged worms outfish others.

And, as tee said, regaurdless of how "we" see it, craws are more red in the spring, so match the hatch...

At the lure counter, I think they have caught on to red as a gimick, and too much of a good thing is bad... I am selective on when I choose to use Reds....and how.

and to answer the question...

nothing "disappears" under water.... just the amount of light that it "reflects" changes... so, as the deeper you go, the less light reflects, and all colors "merge" to various shades...

that being said, blues/purples maintain their color the longest, black never changes and fish don't see thru human eyes!

ok so fish see red....then why would you want to use a bright red line if you aren't fishing in deeper water to change the shade of the color. I do not think Cajun red Line would be a good choice of line for fishing in the 1-6ft range.....although I am not a fan of most colored lines....

well, hopefully the fish aren't paying attention to the line, but to the bait!

But if it helps you have more confidence... or you can see the line "jump" easier...etc..

I have a feeling they are saying with the line "disappearing" what they mean is that it is blending into the surroundings better.

For me, I am switching to Florocarbon for most everything...I cannot believe the sensitivity difference...now if I could just see the darn stuff!

Hey anyone want to buy my color c lector? Like new only used once. Anyone want to buy some color c lector coordinated crankbaits? Like new only used once. I can also make you a deal on flying lures and banjo minnows.

fatrap

Remember, the light spectrum changes once the line enters the water...Berkley Trilene in the photochromic does "disappear" once it enters the water. Remember, mono is translucent and when the light refracts through it it can "disappear". I would try the Red since the photochromic is no more....color in line does not bother me because I am a "line watcher".

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back