The Boston-NY Fishing Contest

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Haven't had much luck fishing so far this spring and decided to fish in NY on the Hudson River and in the Catskills with my younger brother over the Memorial Day weekend. We were fishing for the title to my Nitro! All-in-all, we caught about 50 bass (smallmouth and largemouth) over a three day period with most going over 2ibs - these weren't spawning bass.

He caught the lunker two out of the three days but I caught the most weight. We disagree on who really won based on this point but I will give him the boat in another two years - probably by then I will want a bigger boat anyway, right?

Here are a few pictures:

Photo 1 3 lb 15 oz Largemouth Bass May 28 2005 PSD.jpg

3lb 15oz largemouth on the Hudson River - that was a nice bass.

Photo 2 2lb 14oz Largemouth Bass May 29 2005 PSD.jpg

2lb 14 oz largemouth in the Catskills on the Esopus

Photo 3 2 lb 12 oz Largemouth Bass May 28 2005 PSD.jpg

2lb 12oz largemouth on the Hudson River

Greg D's secret lure did not manage a single bite! Damn yankee bass! Stuck with the senko and spinner baits. At least the Red Sox took 2 of 3 from the Yankees over that weekend.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Thanks guys. Now, if I can only replicate that in Greg D's next tournament on the Merrimac River, I will be all set.

Oh yeah, Bill - I would have to say that after Fenway Park, Camden Yards is my next favorite AL ballpark. Boog Powell ribs are great and the way the stadium was designed is very nice. Now as far as the Orioles taking two out of three this series ... well, it's 1 a piece and in the final tonight, I'd have to go with Wakefield over Ponson but who would have known that the Orioles would be on top of the AL East right now aside from Orioles fans?

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Dude...How big are you ? Because those fish look bigger that what you say they weigh:lol:

I think your scale is reading a tad light. That first fish looks more like 4+ lbs rather than a hair under 4 lbs. Either that or you guys are really small and the fish just LOOK big! LOL

Tee, Rob -

When I netted his 3lb 15oz bass, I actually said to him it looked like it was over 5lbs but we weighed it twice with my new XTool scale. The other two were around the ballpark of 3lbers we have caught in the past so I feel pretty good about those bottom two photos and the weights we recorded.

My bass looks a little larger because my arm is out a little more as I lurched forward to keep my balance on a slight wave when he took the photo - his bass are just big (he is holding them fairly close to his body).

My brother is about 5''11" and I am shorter - 5'8" - no we aren't midgets - just honest. Well maybe I am a midget but he isn't. I would have loved to have said they were bigger but you gotta be honest among friends, right? Boy - I wil have to tell him you guys thought they were bigger - he will want the boat sooner than later ... :)

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

I'm only 5'9" and yours looks bigger than this 4lb 12oz I weighed last year on digitals.....

maybe mine are off:lol:

LooksFishy.jpg

Bill,

nice pics, a couple look big. i agree with the others

i am sure you will do just fine on the river. stick with the senkos on the river. also hear a lot of people throw white spinners.

i will give it a good 1/2 day and see what is doing on the river.

GregD

Man - I gotta love this site. On most other sites, everyone would be saying you were telling a monster tale and that the fish don't look as big as you are saying but on this one it's the opposite.

I am going to check out the scale against a few weight rings later this week to see if it is off. I have 1lb and 5lb rings to check it against. If it is off, I will go to the Nitro dealer to check out 8- and 9-series boats and maybe give the boat to him after next year instead of after 2 years. His wife had to help with the dispute on who won the three day tournament - needless to say, she is in the dog house with him ...

Greg - you aren't just saying to use senkos so you will catch more fish are you? ha ha ha I will try to see if I can get my stuff done on Saturday morning and try to get out there in the afternoon .

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

i wouldnt do that to you yet.

i will weight untill you and your bro kick my butt.

i personly have had great luck onthe river with senkos. i have a secret color of course. i willl let you in on it sunday morning at the ramp.

i will be on the water hopfully by 11:30am. the ball game should be over by 10:30.

i will be leaving my job here friday. so i will not have the same email address after that. i will forward you my new one when i arrive at the new job.

hope to see you saturday.

GregD

Latest posts

Back