Thanks Mac!! Crappie Luck!!

• Thread starter Michael Trepper [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~libra
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Well I put in at 4:30pm yesterday hoping to run up river (lake Allatoona) for some white/hybrid bass, but the water was too muddy and TOO much debri/logs to make a safe run. So I started Bass fishing tight against cover in stained water. Got one decent Spot on a white grub tailed jig, and then headed into a cove where a couple of boats were minner fishing for crappie. Well I did have on my Hand SIGNED Mr. Crappie T-shirt, so I thought - What the heck, i'm in a Pro Crappie and have NEVER caught a Crappie (except by accident when Bass fishing), so....

I remembered reading about trolling small jigs for Crappie. I hooked up 4 rods with 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig head (from my Walleye box) and tipped with 3 inch white grub tails. Well my first troll though the cove and got a Crappie!! WHOO HOOO!!!! Each time i'd troll over this deeper hole i'd land one. I landed over a dozen in about 2 hours (hard to troll 4 rods, land a fish and keep from running aground all by my lonesome!!!! Missed probably that many more but MAN that was FUN!!! My digital scale crapped out last night (one more thing to buy at BPS this saturday) but i'd guess my biggest Crappie went 1.5 lbs.

Now its supposed to rain tonite/tomorrow, so i'm hoping it clears up by Sunday so I can take Eli down for some Crappie!!

Oh, took the 7 largest home last night, filleted them and the will make a nice lunch for us today!

Thanks for the good luck Mac!!!
2005%20April%20Crappie.jpg

Well, well. King Tin has finally figured out what to use the ProCrappie for!

Man, those are good eatin' fish. Going to take the wife out for some crappie fishing this spring.

Trep - got a good friend and the current President of our BASS club moving at the end of the month - to Canton! He said he will be just 15 minutes from the ramp at Altoona. Such a small world. I'll make sure that both of you have the info so you can hook up. He's got a Ranger.

Tex

Tex - Give him my email address, canton's not a big town/area. I'll have to forgive him the Ranger, i'll take him a few times in the Tracker and he'll switch!! LOL

Trep

Howdoya like that grin!

He looks like the Cheshire Cat!

Those eyes though..... :)

Way to go, Michael!!

Way to go Trep

I had a similar experience while camping at a local campground. I began trolling back and forth over a creek channel and about every third pass I would catch a nice size crappie.

Hadn't done that since my granpaw "The White Pearch King" was still alive. Brought back memories....The tasted great too.

Wolf

Oh and the stringer was the only to show the fish. I used the big livewell to keep all of them alive till I culled the best 6-7.

Trep

DINNER!!!! THat looks like a good time was had by King Tin...

Way to go Michael!!

You might want to try the upper Hooch for a change of pace. I took my neighbor Tues. afternoon just above Clark's Bridge and caught a bunch and kept 60 slabs for him to knock the feathers off. (30 limit per person) Biggest was about 2.25lbs with most at a pound or better. All were gullible to a 1/16th oz. red head jig with a blue jelly body and white maribou tail. Let me know if you want to hit this spot. We never had another boat within 500 yds. of us all day and were less than a half mile from the ramp. Again good job! The kids will have a ball!!

No sweat Trep,...glad the mojo didn't wash out in the laundry!! LOL. Hopefully I can get out fishing for the first time this weekend....either for walleye on the river or Crappie in canals......but since my boat isn't here yet, beggars can't be choosey,...I'll go where ever the boat goes! HA!! Man, I'm stoked,.....got a bunch of new rods and reels last week,.....time to break'em in!!

Mac

Latest posts

Back