Texas or Carolina?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey Lewis

Reaction score
Would someone please tell me the difference between Texas and Carolina rigs, and when do you use one over the other?

Thanks for the links. It turns out I've been using the Texas rig all along and didn't know it. Now all I have to do is catch fish with it. ha ha!!!

I will add that each has it's own "feel" and you will have to use them to get which setup works best for you. There are so many variations that it will take a while. Don't give up both catch fish!!

TOXIC

A real good instructional video on worm fishing, is the one done by Woo Daves. It is one of the better videos that I've watched. I take it out once or twice a year just as a refresher. Worth the $10-12 it usually goes for. Check BPS.

Tex

Much help!! Thanks to everyone. I am a river rat off the St. Johns River but have never caught very many fish. Now that I have my own boat, and time to go fishing, maybe I can learn this fabulous sport.

I use the Texas rig mostly and I catch quite a few fish with it. I mainly use it around beaver huts and laydowns. It also works well in grass. Most places where I don't want to get tangled. I use the Carolina rig in places with rock bottoms and open spaces. Rock(gravel) any bigger rock I use a texas. It seems to work well for me using those guidelines.

Don't forget to MoJo and you can c-rig in the bigger rocks. Since Lake Anna is void of typical structure, it is a c-rig rich environment. You better know how to use it to be consistent in the summer. I have gotten much better and as a matter of fact used it in Wisconsin because the water was unusually cold and they were hanging out deep. I have a CastAway "Carolina rig Special" rod set up all of the time. Don't over look dropshotting either. I call that backwards c-rigging!!

TOXIC

I like that Tox, the backwards C-Rig. Drop shotting had become very popular out here in the West. I even cast the rig a short distance and that way you cover more water while it is falling. I seem to get the C-Rig stuck in big rocks so that was why I suggested the smaller rocks are easier with it.

BobR,

Take a look at the MoJo weights, those will let you dropshot in rocky water (c-rig also). The Walleye guys came up with that setup for dragging baits in the rocks for 'eyes.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back