Suffix Line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I'm spooling up a new cranking outfit(Ricky Clunn rod and reel)with 10 pound Suffix on the recommendation of one of the fishing counter guys. Anyone hear good or bad about it. I normally use Trilene. XT.

fatrap

I have been using the seige all season and i really like it so far. it seems like good line to me.

I ahve been using the Siege for leader material on my jigging rods... 8lb Fireline and Suffix 4' leaders for jigging (walleye jigging).

I have also been using the Elite in my slip bobber applications 4-6-8 lb depending on the target fish... 2lb lighter for snells except I still am using up some 2lb Trilene XL SO I can't report on the 2lb Suffix.

But, that 2lb snell material and 10lb XT on all of my trolling rods (if it ain't broke don't fix it) are the only Trilene left in my arsenal of line.

I just switched all of my reels to Sufix Elite before we went on our trip to the Ozarks. I was pretty happy with it. It seemed to hold up very well against dragging through brush and rubbing along dock posts, etc. The first thing I noticed right away was it seems a bit "stretchy" compared to the Stren original I have always used. I use 14# on my worming rods and 10# for cranking. It does seem to cast much smoother and longer than Stren does. Knots held up very well. In fact, I caught a 32# carp (on accident) on the 10# line I was cranking with....that was quite a struggle!! Try the Sufix out, I think you'll like it.

Have been using Sufix line since it came out ,only thing is it is a bit stretchy, but nothing is perfect.

Put some Sufix braid on this year & so far I am not disappointed. I was using Spiderwire braid before & like the Sufix just as much. :wacko:

Really though (and this is an honest question) what makes one braid better of worse than another? Sorry for the hijack in advance.....

TOXIC

Tox,

They all seem to have properties that make them different form each other, i havent found the prefect one yet. I played with lots of different braids before i figured out what i like the best. Here is a list of what i have found with the ones i have used

Original Sipder Wire. pros: Casts good, very tough, works very well in rocks. Cons: tends to flatten out and "cut under" itself when you set the hook so on the next cast the spool stops dead when it hits the spot where the line has buried itself.

Power pro. Pros: Casts well, dosent "cut under" very much, stays round. Cons: Cuts very easily in rocks, noisy when it runs thu the guides. Tends to be very stiff in the 40# and up weight.

Stren Super Braid. Pros: Very Limp, stays round, dosent "cut under" much, decent in rocks. Cons: Didnt cast well at all.

Fireline Pros: Casts well, seems strong, cuts easily in rocks. Cons: Black fuzz evyrwhere even inside the reel.

These are just my personal observations. My preference is for Spiderwire orginal. I like to use it on my c-rig rods and its the only one i have found that is really durable near rocks(something very important to me) and i can overlook its one real shortcoming. I just wish it was easier to find these days:(

Thanks, try the BPS braid....it's all I have been using and I havent had any of the "cons" you talk about. Maybe that is why I thought they were all the same:lol:. One con I noticed from a while ago with power pro was that it faded very quickly. So much so there was a fix of taking a felt tip marker to it. I will run 1/2 the season with my braid, then un spool it to another reel and re-spool it from what used to be next to the reel. Lasts twice as long.

TOXIC

Power Pro for me. I've tried almost all of them except Suffix braid and I keep going back to Power Pro. Actually, I sort of prefer it when it gets broken in and ashy looking. One thing to be sure and watch for...sometimes I might keep the same jig tied on for a month or more. I have to remember to cut off a couple feet and retie every now and then.

I do like the Suffix Elite 10# for deep crankbaits.

Latest posts

Back