Squeeky Motor Guide, how to oil/grease??

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Hey Gang, last week or 2 i've noticed that my Motor Guide is VERY loud in a creaky/squeeky way, so tonite I took a look at it, it is NOT the cable or the gears on the top of the motor. When I turn the shaft by hand it makes a LOUD creaky sound near the top of the shaft. So the question is... How do I Oil/grease it??? Its a 5200 Pro Tour 12volt Motor Guide.

Trep,

Really easy -

Step one - remove the four screws holding the motor to the deck.

Step two - hold hand over the top of the motor head.

Step three - replace everything below your hand with Minn Kota. :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Man! I just couldn't resist!

Seriously though - are you sure it is coming from the top of the shaft? You may want to check the bearings where the two shafts meet up. Where the bottom shaft goes into the top shaft, there should be a bearing there - make sure that is greased up with a good water-resistant grease, like prop shaft grease. Take the top cap off the head of the motor and check the gears there. A very light coat of lithium grease should take care of that.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the joke. Couldn't help myself!

All the best,

Glenn

dude, buy some Corosion X ; that stuff will stay on alot longer than WD-40. It is really good stuff. I have to spray my Minn Kota frequently

Glenn - You had me there for a minute with 3 steps!! LOL

I checked the gears with the cap off and its not them, I removed the slide gear that is attached to cable, and had Eli move the peddal and the cable was quiet. Then when I moved the shaft with my hands it made the noise. It sounds like it may be the bearings. In the morning i'll take it apart and see where the bearings are.

Trep

If you haven't found the solution from one of the previous responses, try this.

I'm assuming the stainless steel shaft is in two pieces. You will see a bearing at the point in which the two connect. Loosen the two set screws in the shaft collar at that point to reveal the bearing. Grease the bearing with whatever type of grease you might have in the garage. Anything suitable for bearings will do.

That bearing will have the grease washed out of it from the water washing through it and general weathering and use. Try to grease it a couple times per season.

Let me know if that works for you.

Take the cap off the motor Trep. Just the cap, probably four screws holding it on and is plastic. Now you can hear better. See if you can hear just where the noise is coming from. You should be able to see a nut where the shaft comes through the bottom of the head. See if it's tight. That fixed mine when it was doing just what your is doing. DO NOT try to over tighten it. Once it's tight spread some grease around. I use white lithium grease for just about everything on the trolling motor, and just about everwhere else.:) I always grease everything when I get a chance. Hope this helps Michael.

Bill

Trep here is the deal. First do Glens 3 step process, then have a beer. LOL:D

seriously

you need to grease both the bearings at the top and mottom of the shaft. Over time they can get pretty dry. To do the bottom one loosen the collar and slide it down, the bearing will drop down so you can grease it. Basically reverse procedure to put it all back together. Then you need to grease the top one. To do that you need to pull it all apart like you did earlier, you need to first remove the rack gear ( or slide gear as you called it) and the plastic bracket it slides in. Then you need to remove the pinion gear. There is a set screw in that gear, loosen the set screw and unscrew the gear. Slide the gear up the wires as far as you can then slide the bearing up and grease it. Put the bearing back in and screw the pinion back on. When you tighten the pinion you need to preload it a little so the steering isnt too loose. When i had a motorguide i tightemed mine enough to take any vertical slop out of the shaft then a little extra. From there reset the set screw, replace the rack and plastic top( make sure the arrow is alligned) and go. fishing. Do the bottom one first because you wont be able to get the collar up tight enough to take the slop out of it, doing the top last will allow you to make the adjustment once. As far as grease goes i like one made by lucas oil called red and tacky #2. Its really sticky and dosent wash off but really any marine grease will do the job.

I hope this helps if you need any clarification let me know, ill shoot you an email with my cell number, ill be around all day till about 5 then ill be at the Patriots game.

Thanks guys got it fixed. It was the TOP bearings, greased them (and the bottom while I was at it) and she is quiet as a mouse now.

Thanks gang!!!

Oh and we have a new Member gonna join, went with my current partner to pick up his new (to him) 1998 640lx with a 90 merc this morning. PERFECT condition and has a nice set up. I'll have him join this week and introduce himself.

Trep

Excellent!!!! Glad you got it fixed.

Good to hear that you have it all fixed Trep. I hate a noisy motor. My MK just went into the shop this week because it seems a lot louder than it should be. Turns out I was right. I've got a messed up armature. I figure I better get it fixed now before tournament season really kicks off. Once again, glad you got it fixed.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back