Sospenders vs Mustang Auto Inflate Vest

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Bass Pro has the Sospenders auto vest on sale for $79. I bought one of these last spring and forgot the cartridge for my 1st tournament. It rained hard during that tournaments and several of the girls had Sospenders auto inflate on them due to rain so I took mine back.

Academy Sports sells a Mustang auto vest for $119.99 and slaps their Academy name on it.

Does anyone have any opinion on either of these? Is the Mustang worth another $40?

I have (and still do) have both. The earlier Sospenders models did have some problems with too much 'moisture'. It supposedly has been corrected. So, part of the deal on the sospenders is to ensure that you have the 'latest' firing mechanism. Not sure that you would necissarily be able to tell.

I have a Mustang vest (which I bought at BPS)and it's never had any 'mis-fires' or inflations that were not warranted. I am very happy with my Mustang, but I would point out that I have a Mustang, and not something that Mustang makes for someone else.

The point being is that many times, the 'Store Branded' versions are not the same. They are a 'lower quality' unit that does not have the same level of manufacturing and quality that the original version would have.

Case in point. If you go to Home Depot and buy a John Deere lawn tractor for less than you can buy it at John Deere. That's because the one at Home Depot, is licensed for manufacture and can be branded as a 'Deere', but put two of them side by side and you will see the difference.

I believe that if it was me, and I wanted a Mustang vest, I'd make sure to buy a MUSTANG vest and not a look alike.

Yes, I went with the long winded explanation. ;)

Tex

I just looked again and it's actually the Bass Pro brand auto inflatable thats on clearance for $79. Not sure I will put forth the money to buy the original Mustang

Teri I have two of the bass pro automatic and manual suspenders and really like them, very light and easy to wear, small to store, I had one fall in the lake and it worked perfectly.

Okay, I'm going to be a little bit critical here - while realizing that this is your choice to make.

How much is your life worth (I'm assuming a LOT)?

You are out in all different types of boats, with all different types of boat 'jockeys'. If for no other reason than that, I'd get the best. I'm a really big guy, and one day on Lake Wylie I was just about thrown out of the boat (big Skeeter) because the 'jockey' didn't know how to drive it.

Tex

Teri - I have the mustang auto, i have had it out in pouring rain with for hours with Eli last Fri (as an example) with no auto inflate. Again thats my experience, its the only auto inflate i've had.

On a different topic, I really don't understand the concept of the sole Manual inflate ones, they will only work IF you pull the cord, and the time you need a lifejacket most is when you hit your head and fall!

TX, I thought the same thing to myself already....but....I am trying to be a tiny bit better about spending money. I want good quality that will do the job, doesn't have to be "the best" but it needs to inflate and save my life.

Trep, I don't get the Manual concept either. Judging from almost hitting a tree at 70mph with a woman who didnt know how to drive last year....I don't think I would have been awake at that point to pull the cord.

With that said, I went to Academy at lunch. Of course they don't carry the auto one for $119 but they did carry an auto inflatable Mustang "Classic" for $149. It says Academy down one side of it but it looked just as good as the ones I've seen on line that didn't. Please someone correct if I am wrong.

My reason for buying is safety. I am starting to fish alot by myself. I always wear my life jacket when running but I don't when fishing. Mostly it's too hot (been 90-100 for awhile now) and bulky. I keep telling myself when I fish alone I should wear it. I think I would be able to stand the auto inflatable all day vs my regular Bass Pro vest.

Bass Pro has a very similar one to Academy on sale right now for $169. The difference to me looks like there is a window built in to view the arming and it has a neoprene collar...which might be worth it for comfort.

I bought the Academy one because I have tried on the Bass Pro model Sospenders that was on sale before and it was shorter and the neck area was alot bigger and it wasnt very comfortable. With that said, I am considering the Bass Pro Mustang with the neoprene collar but it's hard to pull the trigger when I can't try in on. Our Bass Pro is closed because of the flood. I could use reward points for it if I ordered on line but I may just keep the one I bought. I need to try it on with a tshirt and see if it rubs the neck area.

Teri have some permanent implants put in. I would assume the location of those, specially if big enough would float you face up! Plus if found floating in the water you wouldn't be short on help!! :lol::lol::lol:

Like it was said before, don't skimp on your life. Buy what's comfortable and you will wear it. It is a small price to pay!

Randy!

Teri - Whichever way you go, make sure it has USCG Type II performance somewhere on it. That means when it automatically activates you will be floating just like the vest type you are used to. In addition, many states and most tourneys require a Type II jacket (or one of equal performance) to be legal.

FWIW - I have a few SOSpenders, one of which goes back to our Tracker Legends tournament in Orlando, FL in 2001. I have not experienced a false deployment myself, but I witnessed one. My roommate and travel buddy J.R. and I, were sound asleep in the hotel after getting drowned with rain all day during official practice at the Old Hickory Bassmaster in '02. We hung all our soggy raingear over the registers to dry overnight before hitting the sack. About 3:00am we heard a loud BOOM and jumped out of our beds, grabbing pistols and scanning for incoming fire!! :eek: Come to find out it was J.R.'s SOSpenders self-deploying (old style) that sent a couple chubby rednecks into fully armed WHO-DAT overdrive in their skivvies! (Not a pretty picture!!) :lol:

Now try your best to wash that image out yer brain!! :lol::lol::lol:;):D

I have one of the BPS manual/autos. I presume that they will work, I can tell you that they are very comfortable, I've used them the last few weekends in the heat and at least for this time of year are, uh, (sorry) lifesavers.

Randy, I think I will pass on the implants but great idea!

Dan, I think I would have crapped the bed if that happened to me. :D

Berry, we've sure had alot of deaths lately. I do get alittle nervous when fishing by myself. I know I need to wear a jacket at all times when alone. I'll sure have some funky tan lines. :p

Teri - I honestly will say till I got the Mustang auto I only wore my vest when driving the boat with Eli or in a T, i was TERRIBLE about wearing it even running 50+ during the heat of the summer (always wore the regular vest in the winter to keep my skinny self warm!! LOL), but once Eli started fishing every weekend with me, he started asking me why I only wore it running the big motor when he had to wear it all the time. Got me really thinking, what if I fell off and drowned with him in the boat, or fishing alone. Thus I now wear mine all the time!

Teri - I have the BPS version of the Mustang (then called XPS). Very comfortable and identical to the higher priced Mustang labeled version. I've gone as far as testing the mechanism and it worked fine. Worn it in rain and stored it in humid conditions with no misfire.

I have to disagree with TT a bit - yes, "how much is your life worth?" is a valid question. But at a certain point, you've hit that and the rest involves comfort features or just plan name brand versus store brand. I highly doubt BPS (or Academy) is going to put their name on a device that will not perform as designed. Moreover, any smart plaintiff's attorney is going to name both the store AND the manufacturer (i.e., Mustang) in a defective products lawsuit. The companies know this and design accordingly. So the question is not "how much is your life worth?" You've answered that by buying a USCG Type II vest. The question is more accurately "what bells and whistles are you willing to pay for on TOP of the Type II rating." For me, the XPS manual/auto inflatable fit the bill.

Jim

The one thing i can add to the topic is i know for a fact that the bass pro ones will delopy when wet. I put mine in the underseat compartment on my 882 once on a rainy day and i discovered two things. first is the underseat wasnt dry and the other is they sure do inflate. It filled up the entire compartment and i had to pop it to deflate it.

Had my SOSpenders laying in the back of my truck, under the cap. Went to the car wash... Now there is a 1/4" X 3/4" gap above the locking mechanism on both sides of the cap. While using the wand to wash the back of the truck... the planets, my SOSpenders and the small stream of high pressure water that got through that small gap.

BOOM!!!! Yellow life vest deployment! I have rearmed it and never had a self deployment again, ever from rain or anything else. My travel partner left his SOSpenders in the bathroom of the hotel while he showered and the humidity exploded them... Funny as could be....

We need Rob or Buzz to tell the story of Buzzy's deployment while running in the rain. Made me laugh until I cried.

And um...Teri, you won't have funky tan lines unless you go shirtless:unsure::lol:

TOXIC

Well, Toxic I have been known to do that when it's really hot....with frontal coverage of course.

Been wearing my Sospenders or Mustang since I bought them all the time in the boat. Period.

Teri - that better 'collar' is not something to overlook. The Mustang that I have is far more comfortable than the Sospenders that I used to wear.

Tex

Tx, funny that you say that about the collar. I ordered the Bass Pro Mustang this morning because of the collar and the rearming indicator window. I cashed in some rewards dollars and we get free shipping because of the flood closure of our store. $120 shipped.

Good deal! Glad that you did the research and responded to the various suggestions and input. I guarntee you that I have not been bothered by wearing mine all the time. Takes a time or two out on the water 'fishing' with it on, but it has never been a problem for me even when wearing winter clothing.

By the way, NEVER wear it under anything. That can cause untold problems.

Tex

The store branded versions of the Mustang (current 2010) and the SOSpenders (2009) are IDENTICAL mechanisms (bladder, cartridge, pin and disc). If they werent Mustang and SOSpenders would have to pay for a whole new set of USCG approval. They wont do that just to sell one to basspro. The difference lies in the material used to COVER the bladder when folded.

With all that said.....you have to understand how this system works. The disc is water soluable. When it gets wet enough (you fall in, you store it in a compartment, you hang your rian gear above it, fish enough in the rain, etc) you will see premature failure as the disc will be deteriorating a small amount over time. There isnt much you can do about it other than thouroghly drying your PFD when you get off the water, dont store it on the boat (I keep 2 in the back of my truck) and ALWAYS have a rearm kit in the truck!!!!

if you want a self deploying PFD that wont fail in the rain or in slight moisture enviroments then look at the HYDRO STATIC versions. Both companies make them. They are more expensive but they do not us the water soluable disc. They system is activated on water pressure, meaning it HAS TO BE SUBMERGED in water in order to start the inflation process.

FWIW I have only had one premature inflation and that was from taking a wake from a 55 foot Viking sportfisherman in teh ST Clair River. The wake went from bow to stern approximately 2 feet high over the gunwales of my Ranger 520 while my PFD sat next to myshift lever......I was pissed, but what are you going to do?

Teri, get the hydrostatic version and dont look back.

I forgot to add that I dont have the Hydrostatic versions due to cost. I get the XPS ones for a GREAT price :)

Also dont forget that if you have an inflatable PFD it is only counted as PFD when it is WORN. If you have it off and dont have a standard non-inflatable PFD on board, you are in violation and can be ticketed for it.

So in short..yea riggghhht.....I carry two (sometimes three) XPS standard PFD's in my boat and when I prep the boat for launch I put two (sometimes three) XPS inflatable PFD's to be worn while running from spot to spot. I dont wear it continuosly while fishing, but it is a good idea to do so.

Like Mini, I also 'passed' on the newer/better Hydrostatic versions for cost. By the way, I wouldn't have a 'manual' one. Those work really well, till you fall and hit your head, making it virtually impossible to activate.

Tex

Also dont forget that if you have an inflatable PFD it is only counted as PFD when it is WORN. If you have it off and dont have a standard non-inflatable PFD on board, you are in violation and can be ticketed for it.

You sure about that Mini? Reason I ask is because the XPS is classified as a USCG Type II vest. In the Commonwealth of Virginia, such vests are legal for use in boats without the requirement that they be worn (see 4VAC15-430-30). Only Type V inflatables need be worn to be legal. (see 4VAC15-430-40). Tennessee has similar reqiurements (see http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/boatequip.html). Perhaps Michigan is different?

I agree with Mini. Also, Type II are inherently a 'lower grade' PFD. Type I is the highest grade.

Here is the scoop.

Most inflatable PFDs are Type I PFDs, which means they are designed for use offshore and should turn a wearer who is unconscious on the back and keep the person

TT - can you tell me where you got that info (cite to state or federal regs)? My reading of the Virginia law does not comport with what you've listed (actually most of its parallels - all but the requirement to actually wear a USCG type II rated inflatable). Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to make sure to confirm what the legal requirements really are. Also, this may be an apples to oranges comparison. The laws I cite refer to use for type II PFD's (i.e., near shore), not type I (i.e., off shore). Could be that what you're citing refers to ocean going vessels versus in shore (i.e., bass boats on lakes, rivers, etc.).

It actually came from about.com which is certainly NOT (left that out and mean to have it in here) an authority. Having said that, it 'appears' that someone did some checking for the terms. I think that at least 'some' of the states likely default to the CG rules, while others write specific rules/laws on the state level.

All in all, it remains a very 'murky' deal on the inflatables. Here in Texas (and previously when I lived/fished in the Carolinas); the Wardens/Parks & Wildlife folks all told me (while being checked) that I must have it on to count.

I believe that the reason is, that when you throw a regular PFD to someone in the water, it will float (assuming it sill is capable of floating). If you throw a manual Inflatable to someone in the water, it sinks. The 'auto-inflatable' one should activate and float - but it would be very, very difficult to put on once inflated.

Tex

The suspender type inflatables are generally either class V or II. The Class I inflatables are a vest style and are a totally different thing, think the ones you would see on a commercial cruise ship. The USCG will only count a type V if its worn, type II is like any other type II or III where it can be stowed. At the end of the day know what the class is on whatever you have. It will be clearly marked on the jacket and know what the regs are in your states. I know mine aligns with the USCG and if its a type V it must be worn.

Ditto Jim B. Read the tag and understand your PFD rating or the DNR/Marine Patrol/USCG will explain it to you. Just not for free. :eek:;)

Tex - FWIW, When they first came out we experimented with them in the Hawg Trough (old store) and the autos floated on their own as well. (Trapped air I'm guessing.) They had to be pushed under to get the selzer tab to start dissolving and activate.

I had inadvertenly put that about.com was an authority. My mistake (thought one thing typed another).

I meant to say they are NOT an authority.

And as usual, some of our more experienced and learned folks have chimed in with a simpler explanation on the 'Class Designation'.

Tex

I do believe it is stated right on the PFS that it has to be worn to garner the class rating....

It is always a good idea to have regular vests onboard along with inflatables anyway. What will you do if the inflatable is accidentally inflated and you still have to get back to the ramp???? You can put on a std PFD if you have one at that point....

Back