Sonar Pulses....Do bass hear/feel them?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Kern

Reaction score
A guy hears a lot of things......I heard that fish may pick up on the sonar pulses that a fishfinder puts out. Have any of you noticed a difference in quality/quantity of fish when not using a fishfinder?:wacko:

yes they do i always turn my finders off if i know the water, depth and or where the bait fish are at. I really only use them when looking for my deep brush piles , once there located i turn them off. With the older ones you can hear a clicking noise. But even the newer finders put out a vibration.

We've talked about this at work a lot. There are several guides in arkansas (striper) that will shut off big motors and electronics and use their trolling motors to get back into areas quietly because they think it improves the fishing.

I use my fish finders constantly but will throw around the idea of turning them off to see if it makes a difference.

What a great idea Joe! I can't count the number of times I've fished a known area without ever looking at my graph, yet it never dawned on me to shut the darn thing off. Thanks for planting that thought in my head.

I usually turn mine on in the Spring and fall to check out "Surface" water temps or when I am fishing deeper water or New water. But seeing how I fish shallow water 75% of the time, I dont see the reasoning for turning it on at all.

Max <><

With all the jet skis, and speed boats doing donuts around me as I am trying to fish, I figure the sonar ping would be the last thing to bother them. ;)

Steve

I don't think it makes as much difference as most think unless your in anything less than 10 ft. or close to cover. 9 outta' 10 times I'm casting where they can't hear it anyway.

Besides...leaving it on tells you where all the cover is that everyone else misses.

And I fish a ton of clear,clear water and very spooky fish.

" ... living room couch."

I use the same logic when I get into discussions about bed fishing ... :wacko::D.

Latest posts

Back