Skipping Baits

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
Does anyone use skipping baits, and what is your favorite set up?

I like a good spinning outfit with a very stiff rod.

Slider Worms still work great.

cq

I like a spinning rod that is medium stiff, with a very light tip. Sliders work very well. I also use a variety of other soft plastics. I have found that using a plastic that has minimal 'appendages' and other things, helps skip the bait in well.

I've done some skipping with a baitcaster, but of course, invariably you hit something (like the dock), and get a really bad birds nest.

Tex

I use a shorter spinning rod. Tubes and most any plastice work well. I also use frogs on big docks and over hanging trees. Gives em something different in a different place.

I have a buddy that uses the crappie method of shooting. Works well with him and he feels he has better control with it.

He hasn't beat me in a while though! Ha ha!

Randy!

Love skippin a gulp 4 inch smelt minnow under docks overhangs ect. I rig it texas style no weight, and on a medium spinning with 8 pound test

I love to skip spider grubs under docks. I get a lot of fish that way. I use a med action fast tip St croix avid rod with my Td Sol baitcaster or Curado 101 and 15# test for most of my skipping. For the bait I use a a 1/4 oz finesse head with a 5" yammy grub. I also skip t-rigged tubes and 6" worms with the same setup.

If im doing something like a 4" senko i go to spinning gear and 10# test. I can use my 6'8" m- extra fast tip baitcaster for this but i can get a senko deeper under a dock with the spinning gear.

I use a 5'6'' Med action BPS Bionic Blade Spinning rod, #8 flouro. I use the 5'6' because Im not the tallest in the boat (Built more for power, not speed!)THe shorter rod lets me drop the rod tip closer to the water and at a better angle, without getting the tip in the water when i cast. Usually skipping tubes w/pegged sinker or on a jig head.

I use a "fluke" in a yellow shad for skipping under docks in "gin clear" water... It looks and behave much like a shad that has been hit and tossed back into the water by a fish... Spinning gear... this year I am going to start out trying #14 or 20 (slower fall with the larger diameter) crystal Fireline tied directly to the bait, worm hook Texas rigged, and then go to a short 12-16" mono leader if needed... At times I have tried lighter wire hooks to further slow the fall...

Skip?? Hell I am lucky if I can "plunk" it where I want it :lol:

Mr. Hammer... thou art an @$$....:angry: :D:D:D

But, truthful...

BTW, I'll try that glue...

When is your "trip" this year... I may be staying a few hundred yards from that rock wall for a week in AUgust!

Latest posts

Back