Sight fishing in August

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I forgot to post about this after my tournament last weekend on the Potomac. I wasn't going to fish any more in VA this year, but I just couldn't pass up Potomac, which was a 2 day club event for us. Since my boat is in TX, I decided to fish as a back-seater in another anglers boat. I get paired with one of our anglers, and I figured I'd have a good day. No problems.

But then that anglers boat broke down, and he was re-paired as a back-seater with someone else in the club that didn't draw a non-boater in the draw during the meeting.

Which left me paired with the guy in our club who was not only the 2007 AOY, but is leading the points for this year. Luckily, he drives almost an identical boat as mine, so I was familiar with how everything worked, and we had a really smooth two days of fishing.

We got onto a pattern on day one, fishing the incoming tide in the far back of a little creek. After each putting a small limit in the boat, we decided to go find some larger fish, and not overwork this area, leaving it for the next day as a limit-out spot.

I showed my partner something new in another creek that he was familiar with. Not that many people that I see know about this secondary channel, and the water is usually gin clear - and it was this past weekend too.

Well, fast forward to day 2. We run to our limit-out spot, and stay way past the time period we were expecting to catch a limit. We realized the tide shifts a bit from day to day, but we were there almost 2 hours past our time period, and we only caught a few. There were a few more boats to contend with on day 2 though, so we decided to get out of there, and run to the spot I just mentioned above.

Right as we come into the little clear channel in the middle of the grassbed, my partner points to a fish that is going beside the boat. "3lb'r right there" he says. I saw it and tossed my weightless stick-bait past the fish. As it starts to do it's magic wiggle on it's way to the bottom, the fish I was throwing to takes note and heads to it. "Did he see it?" my partner said. I responded, "He's looking at IT! (as I set the hook)" We saw several more that day, and had fun throwing to them. Most weren't as big as this one (he actually was only 2 1/2 - my biggest for the day), but we had fun seeing them and catching them.

Sight fishing in August. Who would have thought it?

All the best,

Glenn

Happens alot up here...but they get spooked pretty easy...

Latest posts

Back