Sharpening Trolling Motor Prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
What is the best approach for sharpening a trolling motor prop so it slice through weeds? I tried a small metal file but i wasn't able to get a sharp edge back.

Thanks

Paul

Sharpening the blades on most plastic props will not help you "slice" through weeds, and will only weaken the edge of the blades, allowing them to become damaged easier the first time you hit a stick or something in the water. That's just the nature of how the prop is designed and built. More than likely, you're trying to sharpen the blades on a Motorguide prop, aren't ya? Motorguide fans - please don't take any offense at all. I'm not badmouthing MG - they make a fine motor - I have just found that MG props don't shed and cut through weeds anywhere close to as well as the MK Weedless Wedge props. If you have a Minn Kota with the Weedless Wedge prop, then I would be supprised that it is not doing the job, and would suggest raising the motor a bit to get through most of the really bad stuff. If it is a MG prop, you may want to consider going to the metal Machette prop, or trying one of the aftermarket props available on the market - maybe a Kipawa prop.

All the best,

Glenn

I have a ninja 3 blade on my MG, 67lb thrust and it pulled my horse of a 929 through the toughest mat the Potomac had to offer. I was making salad!! Just don't hesitate to put it on full power cause if you don't, the weeds will wrap on the prop, that is when you lose the ability to slice and dice.

TOXIC

Theres the key WOT on the TM, just like a lawn mower if the blades are not spinning fast enough they won't cut SH**. on the other side a dull blade will knock out more fish.....

BF

Thats the beauty of the minnkota. You can go thru the thickest slop and not have to put it on high. The weedless wedge just pushes the weeds aside and dosent make like a salad shooter.

I wish that were true. I've had to cut milfoil off my MK AT-55 several times. I didn't know about the full power requirement though. I'll try that next time...

I have used a file to clean up the nicks on my TM blade. I can't see that it's done it any harm.

Harpo

"on the other side a dull blade will knock out more fish....."

Now that sounds like a good way to but them on the grill to me, I'm gonna run out and file the sharpness off of mine right now.:D:D:lol:.

I have used a file to clean up the nicks on my TM blade. I can't see that it's done it any harm.

Harpo,

I'm not saying it messes up the prop when you clean up the edges with a file - I do that all the time. What I am saying is that if you try to "sharpen" them to a fine cutting edge, it thins out the plastic, making them more succeptable to damage a lot faster than having that regular thicker edge. The edges should come to a taper, but not a "cutting point", which is what I meant. Sorry.

All the best,

Glenn

What weeds are we talking about? Even if your prop cuts them you still have to deal with the weeds wrapping round the shaft. Starting to think that we have different definitions of matted and thick grass. I always sharpen my tm blades with a file mainly just to take the dings out.

I don't necessarily sharpen by MK prop but I do knock down the nicks and smooth out the gouges with a dremel.

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I do have a MotorGuide. The type of deburring/sharpening I am looking for is to get it back as close as possible ot its effectiveness when new. Looks like the metal file aproach is fairly popular. A dremel also sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Paul

bmcd, when i think of thick weeds i think of the type of slop thats to think that you cant get a 1/2oz jig to fall thru it. A good example is the south end of Champlain if you have ever been there.

I have a few places near where i live that are matted like that and i have no issue fishing them. I dont have to run my minnkota on high to get thru it either. Sure some weeds get on the shaft but not too bad since i weed proofed it. instead of zip ties for the transducer cable i tape it and i also tape the transducer clamp head so the weeds shed off instead of getting hung up. Ive never had any issues with them wrapping around the prop with the minnkota. I find in those type f weeds i might have to clean it off every hour or so instead of constantly like i used to. Back when i had a motorguide the only way i could get thru that slop was with the 4 blade ninja prop and high power and start shooting salad and i would still have to clean it constantly.

Latest posts

Back