Sharing Deaf/Hard of Hearing Experiences

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Erickson

Reaction score
Gang,

I saw MOFish's response regarding to Missouri Deaf Institute and that sparked my interest and start this thread. What is your experience by encounters, interaction, friendship, and such to fellow deaf and hard of hearing fishers? Not just I, but I'm pretty sure some of us would like to share/read as to what you have with them in your past and present.

- valky

Valky -

Go to the "Search" function at the top of the page.

In "What to search for" type in: scouts canoe guides

Click on "Match all of these words".

Click "Search".

You'll find a post titled: "Scott's World; Episode XXXIX" - Thank you, Mark, Canoe Guides and Scouts! by Scott, 4/21/2002 12:20 CT

That is the story of our trip last year..........

I fall into that category - very hard of hearing. I am deaf in my right ear, completely. Been that way for over 10 years. My left ear, is reduced in hearing. For the most part, I do pretty good. However, I always tell my angling partners so that they will know. When I'm in the front, it doesn't present too much of a problem because I usually fish off the left side of the boat. However, when I'm the non-boater, my bad ear is generally pointed forward.

I just let them know of my condition, and tell them if they say something to me and I don't respond, just holler louder. Hearing aid won't help the bad ear. May be getting close to needin an aid for the left ear though.

Tex

Tex,....that's exactly how my tournament partner is...except he's virtually deaf in his left ear. He has a tendancy to NOT hear me when I am talking to him...or else he "thinks" I said something when I didn't and he'll ask me,.."Huh?!..What did you say?"..LOL....I always acuse him of only hearing "1/2" of what I tell him and it's always the unimportant half!!! LOL

Mac

Well, Scott, I followed your pointer and read your april's thread. Awesome, and it inspired me, too...

I haven't told anyone in this board, but I'm profoundly deaf myself and don't speak well (because I can't hear, so I never really learned to speak right). I use sign language (ASL) as a primary form of communication. It doesn't really stop me from do what anyone are doing, FISHING!!! ;-) I don't have any other handicaps, just stone deaf. I was born that way, without history or cause.

I have been working with former private company in Irvine, CA (BCM Advanced Research/GVC) for 5 years with almost no glitch - and travel world wide to do field support. I'm no longer with them, and is currently working with Texas Water Development Board in Austin, TX, going 2 years now. I'm a Web Programmer writing mostly HTML and ASP. My boss and co-workers learned sign language which is nice thing about this job.

Tex, I worked with a guy, Brett Sherlin, in Irvine whose his right ear is totally deaf. He learned signs from me and he did VERY well, and in 3 months he could be an interpreter. I miss his company since I'm back to Texas and he is still in CA raising his actresses (yea, his girls are involved in multiple TV shows). So, I have a good idea what you're having. Just to prepare you, if your right ear goes deaf later on, you know who you can ask for pointers. There are plenty of services, and assistances for the deaf all over the U.S. - in fact the best place in the world for deaf people to live as I have seen after travelling world wide few years ago. There are advantages for being deaf, too, and one for example, you can use www.sprintrelayonline.com to call someone and it's free of long distance charges. Also, if you know sign language, my wife's agency has established Video Relay (also free of LD charges) where you can call anyone from your computer with webcam and an interpreter in the agency can connect - sign to you, and voice to other end - fast and effective. TV - no problem, most shows and movies are already captioned, simply hit "CC" button on your remote (or set it up "CC1" in your TV menu". You might already know some or all about this, but at least this will let uneducated ones to know and get them curious.

Oh, BTW, many can't shake that the fact many deaf people, including me, do RIDE bikes and possesses "M" class on our license. I used to own Honda Valkyrie, but had to sell it to help with new home downpayment - my wife owes me this much!!

- valky

valky,

You are truly an asset to the board, honestly I never considered deafness a "handicap". I have known and worked with so many people that have hearing issues that it is almost "routine" for me. I actually dated a girl in HS that could hear but her entire family was totally deaf (M, F, S,& 2 B's). Worked with a guy who always wanted me along because he only read lips and I have excellent diction (according to him). Used to service as a client the Iowa School for the Deaf and do some volunteer work at Galudette Univ. here in DC. It never ceases to amaze me how the other senses take over. The blind usually have heightened hearing and touch. I have for a long time practiced isolating and using different senses independently. It has very interesting results for those who try it. Call it my indian heritage but I can smell a deer long before I can see it. I can also smell rain from a long distance. I have taught my 5 year old to close her eyes while in the forest and "tune" her other senses. It's amazing what she can do. Many times during fishing, I will close my eyes and focus on the rod and visualize what the bottom is doing (I think we all do that to some extent). Come to VA and we'll have some "quiet time" on the water!

TOXIC

Valky,

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW??? Just kidding brother!!! My mother is an interpreter at our church. She has been doing it for nearly 20 years and because of her, our church has one of the highest numbers of deaf members within a 3 county area.

No one in our family is deaf, but my mom struck up a friendship with a middle-aged woman at church 20 years ago, and finally asked her why she always came alone. She said her husband was deaf, and although he is religious, he didn't come to church. My mom took it upon herself to learn ASL, and within 3 months, he was attending regularly with her interpreting for him and it grew from there. My mom feels like it was a calling for her, and the blessings she has received because of it are extremely rewarding for her.

On a brighter note, if you ever meet Rob, you won't have to listen to his egotistical, BS used car salesmen type rantings!!!!!!!! J/K Rob, don't get your silk thongs in a bunch!!!

Cool, cool!! Tox, I'll try my best to be an asset to the board - it takes time. You dated a girl whose raised by deaf parents, she is considered to us as C.O.D.A. (Child Of Deaf Adults). This will be true for my son, Trevor, since my wife Julie and I are both profoundly deaf. Neither my wife nor I attended Gallaudet, but we both attended Rochester Institute of Technology where they have a wonderful deaf program that allows deaf or hard of hearing to take on any majors of our choice. Both universities can be found on the web: http://www.gallaudet.edu and http://www.rit.edu

Tox, you're right on the money about people tuning to their other senses when one get absent. I wish I have the nose like your daughter does -- I need it to sniff on SPECKLED TROUTS to find them!!! On an unrelated note, I fish them in the bays anywhere between Sabine Bay (southeast of Houston) to as far as Baffin Bay (near Corpus Christi, TX) every other month.

Ken, well, my EYES got sore thanks to your SCREAMING! YES! I CAN READ YA!!! Your mom is an interpreter, awesome! She certainly learned that by passion, as I can imagine she would be darn GOOD! Any interpreters whose are C.O.D.A. or by passion have a tendency to be one of the best. Doing it for 20 years is a long time and that tells me your mom is very DETERMINED lady to help out the others. Interpreting is LOT of work, both mentally and physcially.

Gang, thanks for sharing!

- valky

Valky -

I'm 52 and have been a diabetic since age 10. About 10 years ago, the side effects of the disease really started to catch up with me..... A couple of heart attacks and a quintuple bypass to name two..... My heart is not strong. It prevents me from accomplishing many of the physical activities that I used to do with no thought at all and slows me down in many areas. When I'm out with others, I sometimes feel like very much of a burden.....

This summer, I learned how really good people can be when I went to Atlanta to fish with Rich and Trep..... It is a very, long, steep up hill walk from Rich's dock to the house; even without carrying anything, I had to make stops along the way..... You know that Rich and Trep would grab my stuff before I had a chance to and carry it up for me!

I have always been such an independent s.o.b...... I had no idea in the world how to thank them enough for their care..... I guess that's why I'm writing this now..... To say "Thanks, Guys!".....

From the very bottom of my heart, Thank You and God Bless!

me!

Back