Second depth/fish finder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott H.

Reaction score
First of all, Sweet - a Nitro forum!:D

I've got a 2002 Nitro 700lx - it came with the standard Humminbird depth/fish finder beside the drivers console, but it also has a humminbird plugin up by the trolling motor mount. I'd like to get the second depth/fish finder hooked up if possible, but I can't find out any info on it. I stopped by my local boat shop but they weren't any help, I even called Nitro, but they told me to drive 4.5 hours to my nearest Nitro dealer and ask them.:huh:

Can anyone tell me how to go about this? For those who have added it, where or what is that plug on the front? Is that just the power? If so, should I just look into buy the transducer type that straps on to the bottom of the trolling motor? What have you guys done?

Also, my trim gauge has never worked. I messed with the cables and what not, but it still won't work. I'm guessing I could just buy a new gauge, but I'd like to know it's actually the gauge that's the problem before buying a new one. Anyway I can tell? Maybe a voltmeter while raising/lowering the trim?

Thanks for any info!

Your local boat shop can't answer this question? Hmmmm? I don't think they would be my boat shop of choice. Please clarify a few things for me. The plug [actually a receptacle] up front on my 750 is for the trolling motor. The Humminbird "plug" up front--are you talking about another Humminbird head unit mount? Give me a call at 913-775-1041; I need to ask a couple more questions.

Hi Marty, I'm a work right now, or else I'd call...

Correct, there's the plug for the trolling motor, which of course has the trolling motor plugged into it, and there's the other plug (receptacle) that says humminbird on it. Head unit mount? I'm not familiar with a head unit for a boat...

I'll have to look at it again this afternoon and get more details on it. I want to say the humminbird up front is actually a square plastic piece, and the plug inside of it is a round male connector with three prongs. I think, I'll have to make sure on that. I just see all these other Nitro's with the second depth/fish finder up front, and I was thinking that's what this thing is for.

Snooter,

Does the peice you are refering too look like this?

13061.gif

If so that is a mount for a huminbird ff, many models fit that mount. If its not that then im not sure what it is. Is there any way you can take a picture of it to help us identify it?

As far as a front FF goes you can put anything you want up there. Most brands offer a transducer that will strap to the trolling motor so all you need to do it put it on wire it for power.

Got it, I've some additional thoughts, but too convoluted to post succinctly. I call the fish finder itself the head unit. A lot of the Humminbirds use the same mount and just have different "heads."

What you may be looking at is a different style power connector [for what model finder I don't know] or it might be some type of extension cable/plug. I suspect if you follow that connector back you will find it connected to your wiring harness or fuse block somewhere.

My recommendation is that you see if there is any kind of part number that you can then provide to Greg Walters to see if he can identify what kind of finder fits it. Greg will get back to you with solid Humminbird advice; though be patient as he is a busy man, but he always responds. Email at [email protected]

How's things in Des Moines? Haven't been up there in a month; fortunately, the kids [and grandkids] like coming this direction; although the Frau tells me 3 hours to see them isn't that long a trip :lol::lol:.

Thanks for the pic Jim B. I'm thinking that there is a cable that connects from that style mount to the plug Snooter mentions.

Jim, the picture of the base there isn't what I'm looking at. Although I wish that was already sitting there! :)

I'll get a picture of it yet today and get that on here, as well as the part number. I'm really thinking it's just a power adapter/receptacle but that's just a 12 pack's worth of sitting there staring at it. :lol:

Thanks for the info guys!! I'll get the pic, numbers, and also try and follow the wires coming out of the back!

Ok, I fell kind of dumb now... I took off the small humminbird plastic cover and there was nothing but a hole behind it. Apparently there use to be a second finder up there and I bet the hole was to get the power through. Oh well, I know what I need to do now..

And, I figured out my trim gauge! Turns out, I don't even have the trim sender that mounts to the engine. Glad I did some more looking cause the guy at the boat store said the gauge was dead and they wanted $35 for a new one. Did my home work and found that the spot where the trim sender hooks on to engine is indeed empty! So, just incase anyone else out there may wonder why their trim gauge doesn't work on a Mercury Tracker 75, be sure to check for the Brown/White Stripe wire coming out under the cover of your engine where the rest of the wires run out (like ignition, etc). If you find the wire, like in my case, it wasn't hooked up to anything. Put the engine all the way up, and where the center pin that raises and lowers the engine actually connects to the engine, on the right side of the motor, you'll see two small holes on each side of a small pin that holds the big pin in place. that's where your trim sender will mount!

Thanks for a help and info guys! with these gas prices though, I think I'm gonna have to wait on a second depth finder and a trim sender. :(

That's great news! That you figured out what was going on, not that the gas prices are high and you have to wait for the second finder. As for the trim gauge; after you learn how to operate your boat, you won't even remember that there is a trim gauge--it'll all come out okay by "feel."

Thats great that you figured out what the deal is.

As far as the trim guage goes, you dont "need" it at all. Normally you trim the motor by feel, rpm and speed not the guage itself. My last two boats have had them and i never look at it, i dont need to.

When your ready for a ff let me know. I have a lowrance X96 i will sell you wicked cheap if your interested. the only thing you need is a transducer( a trolling motor mount with temp is like $60). I have all the brackets etc for it.

Snooter- I agree about the trim gauge. If ever in doubt just swivel your head around and look at your motor before you take off. Been working that way for years and my gauge actually works:lol:. Once you get used to it you can also do it by sound and will always beable to tell when it is down for take off.

Jim B- shott me an e-mail about how wicked cheap you are talkin about!!

Tim

Latest posts

Back